Generic Dual Boot Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Feb 11, 2010.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

Dual booting XP Pro and Win7 Pro. On my XP system when given a choice, I always install programs to my E: drive partition. When you install software that will work with both systems, may I ASSume you must install twice (once on each system)?

Russ

2. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    To answer your question: It depends on the program.. Some programs once installed, will run like portable Apps do. They don't have a dependency on the OS in that way.. Once you install the app in one OS, all you have to do is create a short cut to it in the other OS and it will run.. While on the other hand some apps must be installed in each OS to work.

To give a piece of advice or suggestion: I would not suggest doing it that way. All my systems are dual boot XP & 7. The only Drives or partitions I let them share are my Music, Data, Photo's & Vids. They do not share the program directory, put recycle bins or anything of that nature on each others System drives or partitions. "Even though I use some of the same things in both." They run completely independent of each other in that aspect. Just in case something horks in one it won't hork the other, causing you to re-install in both..

But that's your call...:)

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    As highspeedmac said, i don't know why people insist on doing this installing programs on another partition other that system one absolutely no benefit what so ever, unless the programs don't need to be installed i,e you can just copy the exe or folder. when program are installed even on other partitions things are added to registry and other folders in system drive and the end of the day if you reinstall windows you still need to reinstall those programs.

4. herojack41

herojack41 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    erk....i wonder why u nid to dual boot.since da software are working on w7

anyway if you are using w7,it will be easier to make dual boot on vista instead of XP

do pm me...i hav a website link which is teach dual boot on w7

5. NoGoodNick

NoGoodNick MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    Uh, maybe cause Most ppl avoided upgrading at all until Win 7 cause Vista was such a dissappointment. :rolleyes:

However, I see your point. I finally did away with all my XP partitions and now dual boot Win 7s as backups.

6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I install my games on a separate drive, other than that I install most programs in the default location.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would say games are one exception to the rule due to sheer size and obviously saved games :D