generic key doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by destinyterror, Feb 25, 2015.

1. destinyterror

destinyterror MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2015
    Greeting
    in short i did the upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1 in store (have a french version)and i extracted the file .esd and a folder C:\windows~T when i try to use the setup from the folder / or even the source they ask me to put the key i already have a EN iso windows 8.1 SL OEM from the store download from torrent but since my pr-installed system is FR windows 8 SL OEM can't upgrade because of cross language problem but the generic keys works fine in that version but my version FR one don't accept any key
    the only option that i have is to convert my .esd file to iso and try upgrade but i think i won't work because it's must be downloaded and installed by the store not manually think so any one
    the EN and the FR are extracted from the store so what the difference why the FR doesn't accept generic key :confused:o_O;)

2. destinyterror

destinyterror MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2015
    but that no a OEM but it download retail version so i can't use win 8.1 OEM to upgrade my win 8 OEM and i can't use my win 8OEM key for fresh install so i need a retail copy win 8.1 same edition and i can use my win 8 OEM key right??:confused:

3. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    #4 CorporateRAT, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    You can use every version except enterprise, and you don't need generic key if you got OEM-SLP or OEM-NONSLP license.

4. destinyterror

destinyterror MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2015
    i begin to hate this version after upgrading from the store to 8.1 SL it's all ok until my windows did some update to find my system inactive and upgraded to pro by itself just someone tell me WTH is going on ???!! :mad::mad:

5. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Windows 8.x can be a bit grumpy... Thoe after geting to know it a bit better I quite like it.