Genuine windows (What does this mean)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by craigt, Sep 8, 2009.

1. craigt

craigt MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    Hey guys, been an interesting read around the forums, with the various loaders and bios mods and all.

I just have a simple question, do these mods make a copy of windows "legitimately" genuine. As in, you can use auto updates, go on internet etc etc, and not be caught out somehow and your copy deactivated? Or do they just fake the current installed copy, to make it think that its genuine and activated?

Just havn't found the answer to this while reading around, so thought I would ask quick.

Thanks.

2. ripee

ripee MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I don't understand the difference between what you're asking. There is no faking. The lo*ders and the hard mod essentially create a license for you. Technically, this is identical to what happens at the OEM factories. It is only illegal because you do not pay for the license to activate Windows on your computer, even though you're exploiting the activation system.

OEM:SLP activated Windows automatically pass WGA, so you can download all the updates you want.

3. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Loaders emulate the BIOS's SLIC 2.1 table.
    Modded BIOS have the SLIC 2.1 table inserted.

When used with an OEM key, the copy is 100% genuine.

Nothing is guarenteed to never be caught/deactivated, Microsoft COULD find a way to disable the loader... and they COULD find a way to detect BIOS's with a modified SLIC table...
    But it's unlikely they will any time soon.

4. craigt

craigt MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks guys, pretty much the info I was looking for.

I guess I could have asked the question a bit better, I just wanted to know "As far as microsoft are concerned, will the copy be legit" :)

Next time.