get 8.1 having win 8 pro free wmc activation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by steve97, Oct 20, 2013.

1. steve97

steve97 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    I'm currently running windows 8 pro with wmc which was activated using the free wmc key given back in the day(before ms patching that loophole - directly installing prowmc and entering that key) and I also have that activation backed up by using ATM. I still use that backup whenever I want to re-format my system.

All I want to know from you guys is,

1. Can I upgrade to win 8.1 using the store update OR
    2. Can I do a fresh installation by messing around with those token/data .dat files OR
    3. Is there a way to create an iso containing those .dat files and use that iso to do a fresh install?

Thanks.
    Any help would be grateful. :)

2. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    I also had windows 8 kms activated upgraded to WMC with the free key giveaway easy back last year. I tried using a win8.1 with wmc all in one it wouldn't except my free wmc key
    The best way at present is to find one of the leaked MAKs that are floating around on the internet and activate with Skype then simply upgrade to WMC with the generic key I think you find here on MDL the replace it with your key using slmgr -ipk in elevated command prompt it will except your key and should activate instantly.
    make a back up image of your clean install sorted :)

3. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Small advice never use the leaked MAK / Retail key. Also, with the MAK activated PC the backup tokens process won't work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Do you work for Microsoft ?

5. steve97

steve97 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    You mean that they're not going to re-check the activation whether it is valid or not upon installation?

6. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Check is always done and each time you boot/reboot your machine ;)

7. steve97

steve97 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks guys it's working. I updated it through windows store. Windows and even the KMS activated office 2013 activations are still intact.
    :bye1:

8. steve97

steve97 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    Another question please, I don't know if this sounds too obvious, now that I have successfully upgraded to win 8.1 from the store update and I have backed up my activation using ATM. Will I be able to restore it if do a clean install?

9. c3po

c3po MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Restore with ATM - not yet:
    However you can restore manually, using data.dat, tokens.dat and serial.