Get a new free upgrade after drastic hardware change by rinse and repeat?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by VampDust, Jul 30, 2015.

1. VampDust

VampDust MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2015
    If you drastically change your hardware enough that when you install windows it refuses to activate from your freebie upgrade, can you install 7, activate it with a different licence and then upgrade to 10 within the 1 year period we have and end up with a fresh windows 10 on your new hardware?

2. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Absolutely. If your first Windows 7 license is a Retail license, you don't even need a different one.

3. VampDust

VampDust MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2015
    Very interesting. Even though I prefer legitimate where possible and my windows 10 is still legitimate forever on this computer, I would like an offline non-legitimate way to activate in case I ever need to format and I have no phone or internet access. I had a KMS emulator stashed away for windows 7 pro if I was ever in that situation. I remember reading that MS might be able to make KMS stop working or something with an update. With windows 7 I never had to worry about it. Long as I had internet my desktop machine just activates fine, but I knew that no matter what the circumstance that I could use the KMS emulator to get it to work. I knew windows 8.1 did not work unless I ran the emulator in a vmware guest and use the IP of the guest, but I assumed it is per OS, either it works, or it doesn't work, like it always works on windows 7 and never works on 8.1. Is it possible one day it works on windows 10 and then another time your windows deactivates when you do get internet and do updates because they change the KMS system for that same operating system? I mean, they could have done this with 7 if they wanted to, or even 8 but they didn't they did it on 8.1, the new entirely new windows release after 8.