Get Ready to Taste Microsoft Security Essentials Final

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JUD, Sep 22, 2009.

1. JUD

JUD MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Microsoft is preparing to end its Microsoft Security Essential (MSE) beta and release the final version of the program “in the coming weeks.”

From the note Microsoft sent to its beta participants:

“The final version of Microsoft Security Essentials will be released to the public in the coming weeks. If you are running the older version of the beta (1.0.1407.0), we encourage you to upgrade to a newer version of the beta (1.0.1500.0).”

MSE, codenamed “Morro,” is the replacement for Windows Live OneCare and a superset of Windows Defender. Microsoft officials have said it is meant for consumers who are unwilling or unable to pay for security software. More than 400,000 testers are believed to have downloaded the test version of MSE.

2. simarpreet007

simarpreet007 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Microsoft and Security do not go hand in hand

Best Example of this -- Windows Defender :mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Johny23

Johny23 MDL Member

Sep 3, 2009
    #3 Johny23, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    Micorosft Security Essentials.. can pose a threat to others..

Don't go so fast into judging dude.. from what I've read you're totally mistaken.. ;)

Recently, I've read an article in PC World Magazine about Microsoft Security Essentials.. and was literary amazed :eek:

No compliments dude, but Microsoft is doing a great job so far.. the author of the article tested Microsoft Security Essentials along with 8-9 other free Security Softwares..

While still in BETA phase at that time, Micorosft's Freeware outraced most free security softwares including AVG, Comodo, and many others, and scored a solid 9+/10.. its only drawback was prolonged scanning time.. which is intended to be solved before release of the final build..:rolleyes:

The software detected all malware presented during testing and was proven successful in executing these threats and eliminating them efficiently compared to other freewares..

Besides people, whenever the soft suspects any file it logs to Micorosoft's server and searches for possible threats and solutions..

Literary dude, Microsoft can go far with this, and their soft does have the potential.. trust me indeed.. days will unveil.. but remember dude, I'm arguing a Freeware here.. not a shareware protection scheme... :cool:

Regards..

4. OleBent

OleBent MDL Member

Aug 22, 2007
    #4 OleBent, Sep 22, 2009
    The MS bashing in terms of security do tend to get somewhat tiresome....

Have stuck to Symantecs Corporate Solutions for many years professionally and private but Sym killed of that affair by their awfull SEP 11 series.

These last months I have been doing beta test of MSE here....

IMO this will be a very neat product for many (perhaps even most) users when centralised managament is not needed.

Super light and quite fast. As all AV proggies should have been from the start.

As I see it even many small businesses will be able to use this for their daily viral protection as opposed to the bloated and expensive solutions offored to this segment atm.

For people concerned with privacy and phoning home I suggest finding entries for your hosts file elsewhere on MDL.

I welcome MS offering to the scene.

5. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Does anyone know if MSE Final also requires SpyNET membership?

6. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Well...When it is out of beta, see no harm in trying it out for size.
    Agreed, that most AV nowadays is bloated.
    We see.....:)

7. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #7 Daz, Sep 22, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. atifsh

atifsh MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2008
    im using it for some time now and let me tewll u iv uninstaled all my pc that were with avast and avira.
    its that good :)

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's the only one I use since Beta Release on all of our computers!

And it's just good, like Windows 7!

A compliment to MS for the good jobs done now!

10. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    If you have used any of the Forefront products you would know that MS makes a DAMN GOOD AV product. MSE is built on Forefront Codename: Sterling which is one of the top contenders in the endpoint protection catagory. The only thing that I don't like about forefront and MSE is you are stuck using Windows Firewall with Adv Security and the popups from Windows Firewall are close to non-existent so it causes issues trying to config your firewall, other than though it is a very good product. All your definition updates come from WU so that is a plus too.

11. snowflake

snowflake MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2008
    Well, the sentence you're quoting is possibly there because it is impossible for Microsoft to guarantee that there is no personal information in the gathered diagnostics. After all, your personalia could be included in a malware reported to Microsoft. How would Microsoft know how to remove personal information, since the software does not know what is personal or not?

Microsoft is most certainly not the only company with integrity consideration problems in their protection software solutions.

12. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I am running MSE with my firewall service turned off, I used XPantispy to turn it and the service off.

13. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I always join the CEIP, and turn error reporting on. I believe it helps when people report their errors, the MS kbase has come a long way in the past few years since they started the CEIP and Error Reporting programs.

14. Micro

Micro MDL Member

Apr 26, 2009
  15. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    i'm really happy with my eset smart security

16. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ snowflake
    True but I would rather not risk it anyway, especially to Microsoft moreso than any other AV company. Even if the anti-virus software is great, it's just not a very smart thing for me to use.

@ Micro
    I'm not sure you can for this specific product, I think you can only disable it for windows defender. Correct me if I'm wrong though and please provide information on what needs changing (key names etc.).