Getting a new router....?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ThomasMann, Dec 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    We moved into this house 15 years ago and our phone company installed a router for our fibre net connection. The internet download speed we get is usually 94 Mb/s.
    The router is without WiFi. I then bought a very simple Buffalo Wifi, with a signal that is a little weak for video calls in rooms that are a bit further away.

Today, we still have the original 14 year old router and the phone company makes it a big problem to get a newer one, so we will get our own, if that makes sense...

Is there a point to get a new router with Wifi included (will they work with Win7?), or, only get a stronger wifi to plug into the old router, or keep the wifi and get a good “repeater,” “booster” or “extender"? (We have three Lan connections additional to Wifi)

Thank you....

2. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    You can buy wifi only
    With built in lan connection
    And connect male male rj network connector

Did it once with Xiaomi wifi
    But today moved to router with wifi instead

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    It is not uncommon to use a PON terminal as a primary stage, and after it a Wi-Fi router / access point or PLC adapter.
    If the provider allows, then sometimes even the provider's terminal is transferred to Bridge as a Pon-socket. A router is connected to it and authorization is configured. The main thing is that the method of connecting to the provider and the equipment on the client side coexist in this mode.

Changing the provider's terminal is not always profitable due to the difficulties in moving the fiber (it is more convenient to lay the ethernet cable). The equipment may be based on cheap solutions, which will force you to expand the zone with Wi-Fi repeaters or connect an additional router. Consider this option if the provider is ready to replace the equipment for free or if there is no money to buy their equipment. Please note that PON terminals are often more expensive than routers, and providers may not agree on a connection to an optical fiber line.

I use a translator, so the text can be difficult to read. I wanted to indicate that there are various aspects in organizing a home network.

I used Wireless N Router WR702N and zyxel keenetic. They allow you to choose a different connection method. Whether it's an access point or a router. There was also a budget d-link, but it did not give the required speed over Wi-Fi. The main thing is to choose the right device for performance, signal strength in accordance with the needs.

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you both... I finally managed to contact NTT, and they actually showed me that they still use the same router, but on mine the latest update (from 2018!) was not installed. They then did that via my landline.
    I also was told, or shown the webpage, where they tell potential fibre customers, that since April 2022 they no longer accept orders for it, because they have no computer chips for that.... Its all putins fault :) :) :) of course...
    So now we have to discuss to get a decent Wifi "machine" or an "Extender" which plugs into the wall...

Thank you again

6. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017