Getting an Oculus Rift? Maybe you should reconsider.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ancestor(v), Apr 3, 2016.

1. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I'm an introvert. :D
    I don't socialize. I don't have a facebook account.
    I prefer to go to pubs, bars, restaurants, theaters, cinema.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Even the Samsung Galaxy S7 is advertised as a future VR device..it comes with odd vr goggles....
    The S6 has the same resolution than the s7, but due to a larger screen the s7 has less pixel density.....

IMHO just marketing to get more sales....but I think VR will play a major role for gamers...too bad that facebook has acquired oculus....
    WEllll..accumulating of capital will break our necks (freedom) sooner or later...sad but true...

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Don't even need to read the OP, the Rift was always doomed, come on... facebook? lol

HTC Vive is where VR is at, anything else is a joke atm

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    HTC Vive also has still major flaws....it doesn't run stable at all...and dark scenarios are disturbed by reflections.

I guess the marketing people are advertising what's not really market-ready when it comes to the 'magical' Virtual Reality.....

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Do you own a Rift or a Vive to compare?

7. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No, you? AFAIK HTC has problems with billing/delivery...and Oculus ran out of a major component.

Since I am curious about VR I watched the news from the beginning..also from a pure physical aspect (pixel density/screen dimensions per eye/focus extension/gyro sensors)...I had a controversy with friends....saying the tech is (still) insufficient/high system requirements for the soft.

My last post refers to a test of the latest Vive beta...TBH I could not test it myself yet....

So your favour for Vive is based on the product itself?

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #10 MrMagic, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Had the Oculus DK2, brother has ordered the Vive, should be here this week

Specs of the Oculus are terrible vs the Vive, poor 80° horizontal or vertical FOV on the Rift for example, XBOX controller lol, little stand for the camera vs Vive lighthouses, I`ll update with the rest of the differences once I speak to my brother, but compared to the Vive it is a total fail half @ssed job, games locked to the Oculus store too and apparently are fairly poor PS1 ports at best

Oculus started off as something great, then they sold their souls to the facebook devil and lost sight on what they were creating once they saw their $bn bank account balance, we have them to thank for VR, but they are back of the pack now, HTC are the leaders, and I'm pleased about that, facebook are a scummy company to start with, I can only imagine what sort of data they'll be pulling from your HMD

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You're right.
    The original Oculus has been a kickstarter project, means a crowd funded project. The developer kit was great and accessible......it looked like something great.

This is a typical example of a project which started as a free great project crowdfunded...an idea of people who wanted to give some money for a great idea, to bring VR to the people...

And finally it was acquired by a US imperialist ..all the great original idea has been destroyed....

I hope it fails. :biggrin:

Either way...I thought the hardware specs are quite similar? The only difference is that Vive comes already with tracking system movement 25 square meters whereas with Oculus you have to sit. (Means immersion is better on Vive)
    Visual field is the same ~110 degrees also screen resolution and latency/display refresh rate...

11. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    EVERYTHING they can!!!
    Because this is a good info for crowd control and sheeple management.

Extra! Extra! For country leaders 30% discount! Buy now our "Sheeple Management phase 1" and enjoy the free updates up to phase 2. Phase 2 will include the special programs "More work for less bucks" and "Who needs vacation anyway?" We aim to keep the leaders happy and sheeple working.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The hardware specs are fixed and hence objective parameters. Both have a visual field of ~110 degrees....the field of view is an result of the individual stereoscopic view and depends...on distance/focal length (geometry /distance of eyeballs to the screens).....and on 'subjective' perception...

13. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  14. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #16 Muerto, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021

15. 8560p

8560p MDL Novice

May 1, 2016
    future work at home ^^
    wait until im a kid for a VR

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I cannot understand what the admin in this thread is talking about....

Anyone using this stuff, does not have a lifé worth mentioning, and so what problem could he encounter as a consequnece?

17. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015