Getting an old scanner to work with windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AngryBird, Aug 10, 2015.

1. AngryBird

AngryBird MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Hi all,
    I hope I posted at the right place.

Upgraded to windows 10, and notice that this BenQ 5560 scanner does not have drivers for windows 10. I tried running on compatibility mode, and it install the software. However there's still ! mark for scanner on device manager. Any way to force install the scanner, or to mod the driver to work on windows 10? If possible, I do not want to get a new scanner as this one still working.

2. shanye

shanye MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2015
    I had exactly this problem. I used VM player to run a virtual XP installation and installed my scanner to that. It works a treat!

3. stonedagain

stonedagain MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Try Vuescan, it has loads of drivers. I use it on win 7 with a 15 year old Epson scanner.

4. AngryBird

AngryBird MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Any other way than using VM?

5. gabb

gabb MDL Junior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    If the drivers are in .exe format, you might be able to decompress it and get the .inf and other files for a manual driver installation and hope it works.
    It's either that or a VM (which is not that bad).

6. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Best solution possible. If this doesn't work then go the VM route.

7. shanye

shanye MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2015
    I tried loads of different combinations, but got no-where. My scanner is really old though - it goes back to the time of WindowsME. I used the XP mode thing with Windows 7...

8. AngryBird

AngryBird MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    I tried the trial version, it work but there is watermark each time you scan. buying a standard or pro version cost a bom here, with around 40USD and 80USD respectively. I will try install VueScan and let it detect my scanner. After that I am going to use some driver backup program to extract the driver. Will see if it can work that way. I will have to dig out my OCR software that I have and hope it will work.

9. stonedagain

stonedagain MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Angrybird, You have PM