Getting back into coding, C# and Unity to be specific.

Discussion in 'Mixed Languages' started by nosirrahx, Apr 21, 2020.

1. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I retired 4 years ago and the creative itch has been getting to me. I decided to get into game dev in the fall but since the lockdown have actually been taking it pretty seriously.

Anyone else here putting their at home time to work learning to code?

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Personally, I like C#. I haven't worked with mono though.
    A dear friend gifted me with Visual Studio (Thanks K4 :hug2:) and I started writing apps in C#.

I've been doing embedded development (PIC), which is mostly C. On occasion, I would write in PICASM just to see if it could be done.

I got sick (Cardiac problems) so I took a hyatus from all development. Hopefully, when my health improves I'll get back into dev.

Most game dev engines use C++ (At leasr the ones I've seen) so you might want to brush up on it.

Good luck with everything. Above all, have fun! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Fellow cardiac patient, had an aortic coarctation repaired and still have a bicuspid valve that might need to be replaced some day.

C# is the scripting language of Unity and so far it looks like Unity is the easiest to jump into due to its online community. I had 0 issue finding loads of great free tutorials.

I am having a lot of fun so far. I have been putting some time in doing things the hard way in console to really get a good feel for the language before I get too far into Unity since it does all of the heavy lifting for you.

I have been playing around with AI for a "mouse finds the cheese" project as well as random maze generation. I also built a 3D wireframe cell style dungeon crawler using ▀, ▄ and █ to render everything. It was a massive challenge building realistic looking 3D graphics in console but I learned a lot and I love being forced to get creative.

Sometime next week I will probably glue the 2 projects together to automate movement through the randomly generated maze.

4. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #4 Muerto, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017

Right now I am going through the process of determining which syntax really improves game dev and which syntax is the kind of thing you may never use.

Currently exploring whether or not I like delegates. I've built some stuff that uses them but to me at least it feels like I am creating code that is less inherently self commenting.