Getting income taxes back, want to know good motherboard already modded by community!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by schooluser, Feb 10, 2013.

1. schooluser

schooluser MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    I'm going to get several hundred back for my taxes and would like to know what you guys suggest as a good windows 7 board that has already been bios modded here. I'd like to be able to hook up 7 or more SATA drives eventually, have a good amount of ram(reason I am upgrading is my current only supports 4gb), use an intel multi-core processor, and a decent all around machine.

:mauridia:Please let me know what you suggest!:mauridia:

I appreciate all the help I've gotten here over the years and feel this is a great community. Thank you all for all of your help!

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  3. schooluser

schooluser MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    #4 schooluser, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    (OP)
    I'm looking at the Sabertooth Z77 but having trouble navigating the search to find the latest modded bios. I thought I saw one with a Asus slic but can't seem to find the page again. Will continue searching if you don't have a working link handy.

Edit--
    Found this one:

SLIC: Asus 2.1
    Cert: Asus
    Modded with Phoenix SLIC Mod 2.08
    Mod method: Dynamic (custom)

Modified Bios:
    Asus Sabertooth Z77_1708_Asus21_Dyn.rar

Flash with Asus recommended method.
    Confirmed Working by trancefreak.

4. schooluser

schooluser MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
  5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
  6. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I have just looked at the BIOS file I modded myself. It is BIOS 1708.

I will put my BIOS file and the CERT on my site for you to download. You choose if you wish to use it or not.

I have just looked on the Asus site and the BIOS is upto 1805.
    If I choose to download that,mod it and test I will let you know. To be honest though my machine is running reall smooth and like the old saying goes "If it aint broke,don't fix it"........

I will PM you the link to my site details. I think links like this are not allowed...Not too sure....

7. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    They're allowed it's the file sharing sites are taking them down as soon as they are discovered hence so many bios mods with dead links

8. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
  9. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Yeppp me looking like I am French,trying to fit in..:biggrin:
    Look at the background..Thats how I got there...BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG cruise ship.....big syyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Put some info up about the BIOS file.....Is that enough ? Not too sure what to put........

10. schooluser

schooluser MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    Thank you for all your help! I will try your version and if it doesn't have any problems I'll leave it be. I really like that feature they're incorporating into the boards being able to flash from a USB without having to worry if the bios is bricked. As the board seems to be highly recommended I'm sure I'm going with that one now.

Just need to figure out a decent video card....

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i used flashrom.exe for dos to make backup.rom then mod and flash back on P8Z77-V LX with no USB flashback.
    the flashrom trick to make it work is to tell it its not a laptop.

i made a backup first (bkup.bat) with:
    flashrom -p internal:laptop=this_is_not_a_laptop -r backup.rom
    then to flash (flash.bat)
    flashrom -p internal:laptop=this_is_not_a_laptop -w mod.rom

there is an easier method i heard by deletign the first 1000 bytes of bios .cap then it des not check for tampering of bios.

12. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Just been thinking...

I said in my last PM I had downloaded the latest BIOS but had no luck in flashing it after modding using the on board flash tool.

I had used the DMI method. Having just read this thread again I suddenly had the idea to re flash the original dumped 1708 BIOS using the DMI method. Test if this would flash and test if the SLIC2.1 was as it should be.
    If all was well I would than try to flash using the very latest BIOS,unmodded and then test if the SLIC2.1 info was intact.
    This may well be the only method,I can not be certain though.....
    If this did work then all future BIOS updates should be Ok.

Can you check before you do any flashing what BIOS version your board has been shipped with...

13. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    #18 tnx, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    Just been doing some testing on my cheap test rig,Asus P8H61-MX 1155.

I had originally backed up the original stock BIOS,modded it to hold SLIC21 + SLP. Actually flashed the BIOS using Asus's Bupdater tool. Quite easy to use.
    Everything was fine,Windows 7 activated.

I have just done a test where I re-modded the original BIOS to hold SLIC2.1 and SLP but used the DMI method,which should allow future BIOS updates while retaining the SLIC + SLP info.
    Renamed the file to "SLIC.rom"
    I flashed using the "Asus EZ Flash 2 Utility"
    The flash went well,PC booted up to the BIOS screen.
    I then downloaded the latest BIOS,v0710. I have NOT modded this in any way and flashed that,using the same EZ tool.
    The flash went well,sat here looking at the BIOS screen and I can see it has updated to v0710.

What I will do now is do a fresh install of Windows 7 and see how the activation goes and I will check using "SLIC ToolKit v3.2"...This will show if the SLIC and SLP tables are intact or not.

I will report back on my findings ASAP. Not tonight though,work is calling.

If all goes well I may well pluck up the courage to re-do my Sabertooth and carry out the same steps on that...

:biggrin:

14. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Right...

Up and at em..

Just starting a fresh install of Windows 7 x32 with Asus OEM...

Lets see...

15. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Well summet went wrong ?

I have no SLIC table nor SLP either !!!!!!!!

So some where along the line of adding the info using DMI has not worked.

This has been a good test showing me to stick to the "dynamic" method. I will have to re-do the test rig but I will leave the Sabertooth as it is.