Getting rid of M$ ads pushing (contentdeliverymanager) in 1903 and newer

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by freevista, Mar 17, 2020.

1. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Since SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy can't be removed anymore (or it can, but updates or sfc repairs just bring it back), I've been looking for other methods to disable the obnoxious ads pushing by Microsoft in Windows 10. The "Let’s make Windows even better.." full screen nag window is one of the worst of them, and apparently the registry settings below are not enough to disable it.

I'm currently testing this: I cleared all content under the key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager, except for the settings below, and then took ownership of the key and set permissions to Everyone:read. No 'subscription' entries are written under the key anymore, and so far the only downside has been a little bit longer (a second or two) login time.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager]
    "SilentInstalledAppsEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager]
    "SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "ShowSyncProviderNotifications"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager]
    "SoftLandingEnabled"=dword:00000000

"RotatingLockScreenEnabled"=dword:00000000

"RotatingLockScreenOverlayEnabled"=dword:00000000

"SubscribedContent-310093Enabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UserProfileEngagement]
    "ScoobeSystemSettingEnabled"=dword:00000000

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    One thing missing from the above script vs. your keys is handling "Get Even More Out of Windows in Windows 10" (ScoobeSystemSettingEnabled).
    Not sure if still needed on top of the script, I will have to first test it myself, but looks worth adding.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Awesome, thank you. Bloatkey, that's what the key is, I love that varaiable name :) Disabling "Get Even More Out of Windows in Windows 10" might require something else too, because that P-O-S displays immediately on network connection after the installation or upgrade. So it might not come from contentdeliverymanager.

5. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Looks like the nag screen on login comes back if I delete the key ContentDeliveryManager\Context\CloudExperienceHostIntent. ScoobeSystemSettingEnabled and SubscribedContent-nnnnnnEnabled have no effect like I feared. It puts a REG_BINARY timestamp to IntroIneligible and IntroSkipped subkeys, most likely to see when it's time to nag again.

Damn it Microsoft.. I wish you had at least one sane person in power (like Linux has Torvalds) and interested in Windows instead of the cloud and your wallet :p

6. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    I use non-LTSC Enterprise and never see any ads at all. Just throwing that out there.

7. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Being on this forum you would think everybody is on LTS / Enterprise / Edu train, but we're just a drop in an ocean (a 900+ million devices one).
    Most people have Home preinstalled on their PCs, and very few Pro and above. I mostly use Education at home for a good reason, but that's irrelevant.

I see MS are fiddling with the 20xx setup some more - who knows what other annoyance they are backing in.
    Definitely worth investigating some more for those that have no choice in the matter (which is most people).

8. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    #8 freevista, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    (OP)
    I'm on Pro because of the free upgrade option some time ago. If Enterprise stays activated without a hassle like searching a working activation server, I might think about it. AFAIK Pro can be converted to Enterprise these days, but in any case I have to take a full backup before.

And also: I know that you can use Enterprise and Education indefinitely with the watermark, but I don't like it. Especially if the watermark shows during full screen gaming?

9. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    No watermark on my legit Education license (I do IT work for couple schools).
    If you are a student, teacher or involved in education in some other capacity, you are eligible for a free license. But your school must be registered with Microsoft before.
    If not, there is always kms / hwid / mak / leaked keys activation.

10. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
  11. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  12. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    sounds promisin ...
    NOPE

13. jed1949

jed1949 MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2015
    I must have clicked something without realizing - I've never seen even one ad on Windows ever.

I have regular Windows 10 Pro x64 set to log on to local account automatically. I have Open Shell, and I use Firefox with DuckDuckGo as homepage (and uBlock Origin). I press the power button, computer fires up and I use it - with no ads.

Weird eh ?