Getting Windows ThinPC to work EXACTLY like a ThinClient....

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by danielrostron, Dec 18, 2012.

1. danielrostron

danielrostron MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2012
    Hi all, i'm new to Windows ThinPC and have been having a tinker with it these past few days.

Ive installed it onto a test machine at work but im having a difficult time making it act in the same way as a true thin client would, i.e. when the machine is turned on it auto loads up an RDP connection and takes them to a log on screen.

Ive had a look online and can't find much about it.

I've done the simple things like create an RDP file and place it in the start up folder, delete all desktop icons bar an RDP icon, auto hide the taskbar, remove 99% of things from the Start Menu so it's blank but I was just wondering if there was an easier way to do this or if there is some in built tool i'm missing that can set it up in this way, as I'd ideally like to roll it out to a lot of machines.

Things like making it so users can't accidently minimize their RDP window aswell would be handy.

Can anyone offer any help or guidance?

Thanks.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Well, use WES7 for this with policies applied

But if you must you could make RDP client being a shell

sebus

3. danielrostron

danielrostron MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeh I've got Win Thin PC installed and have got the machine auto logging on with a basic domain account. I'm trying to figure out how to get a custom RDP file to act as the shell. I've only managed to get a standard MSTSC instance to act as the shell via changing the Custom User Interface group policy.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    WES7 is not ThinPC (ThinPC is based on WES7)

Just do your own template with policies (want to learn what policies, then check this or this or this or this )