Gettng back into Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Driver_King, May 28, 2011.

1. Driver_King

Driver_King MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    I installed Windows 8 and would like to make changes to the system32 folder but cannot because it is being used. I want to get back into my Windows 7 partition. Can someone recommend a way to boot back into my other partition? Thanks.:eek:

2. TFN

TFN MDL Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Try Easy BCD neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

3. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I agree with TFN, I use Easy BCD and boot between 3 drives - no issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Does installing Win 8 from within Win 7 overwrite the bootloader?

5. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    #5 starams5, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    Hi, EasyBCD as the others suggested. If the OS you want to boot to is on another drive (not partition), changing the HDD order in the bios should work as well. Also, if your board supports the F8 option, tap the F8 key during post to display the drive menu. Note: F8 is used for ASUS, other board manufactures may used different keys for displaying drive options during post.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kingof69ng

kingof69ng MDL Member

Apr 20, 2011
    off topic.
    and you cant.
    That'd be an update. which isnt possible from these current leaks.

but yeah on topic easy bcd would be the easiest way.

7. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    You guys are mistaken, Driver-King chooses "switch-off" everytime he exits, it goes into hybrid boot, which over-rides the boot menu.

So it's simple, just choose "restart" and the boot menu is back. :D

8. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #8 _spinner_, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    Well Done Faikee :D

The hybrid boot option ovverride any existing bootloader, to fasten up the machine boot.
    If u want back your bootloader, just disable Hybrid boot,save and turn off computer.
    At the next switch on, you'll get back your bootloader, having two windows 7 to choose(win8 builds has 7 set-up so that's why..)
    Anyway with command prompt trick, you can modify in windows 8.

Enjoy and have fun.......:bananajoj2::bananajoj2:

9. kldpdas

kldpdas MDL Member

Oct 21, 2009
    This is hybrid boot again...:D

10. Driver_King

Driver_King MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Apparently, the option to disable Hybrid Boot is greyed out in 7955. :hmm: And I had two partitions setup on a single hard drive on my AOD250, using Easy BCD. So yes, the bootloader is being overridden, I do not have another HDD, I have 7955, and my Hybrid Boot option is greyed out. I have also tried Windows Enabler. No success. Any other ideas? :confused:

11. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    re-install windows 7,sorry buddy:(

12. Driver_King

Driver_King MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Nah, I won't need to do that. I'll just boot into my Windows 7 USB to repair the startup, worst case. All of my files are still available as my D:\ partition, which are editable and usable anyways. I would just prefer to be able to boot into either partition on the fly.

13. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    #13 FaiKee, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
    Did you try choosing "restart" instead of "shut down"? it works for me, I get the bootmenu everytime.

If not, then put in the win7 or 8 DVD, boot to it, choose "fix your computer", choose the win 7 partition and goto command prompt, and enter:

Bootrec.exe /fixboot
    Bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    exit

make sure you have the space between "exe." and "/",

This is much faster than using the auto repair option, because it first check all your files and simply replace everything, damaged or not.

14. Driver_King

Driver_King MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Will booting into the W8 repair utility allow me to boot into either partition on the fly?

15. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    I don't know, but probably yes, because the mbr files are just the same.

I have XP/WinTPC/win7U/7955 all on one HDD, the other day I re-installed XP, used the win8DVD to get back the bootmenu, it was always there, just overriden by the XP bootloader, a similar scenario like your bootmenu was overriden by the hybrid boot.

16. Driver_King

Driver_King MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Yeah, that worked. I had to reactivate Windows 7 (as expected) but I can still access Windows 8. It looks like the NoPill activator caused my genuine status to disappear and now MSE is yelling at me. I'll just keep reinstalling as necessary until the public beta. Thanks! ;)

17. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    #17 FaiKee, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
    OK man, that's nice. ;)

Edit: Oh! It just came to me, if you soft-moded your win7 naturally you lose the activation, because soft-mod adds a file to boot sector to cheat windows there is SLIC in the BIOS, on installing win8 it replaces everything in the bootsector with its own boot-loader, so no more cheating file. It's nothing to do with the pill.

18. Driver_King

Driver_King MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    It seems like you're being somewhat trollzy seeing your recent posts but to answer, 7955 is not a completely stable OS build. Windows 7 is a stable, finalized OS. You can do a majority of daily tasks on Windows 8 7955 but Windows 7 is again more stable for other programs and utilities.