GGK or Upgrade version for my case ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by White Wind, Jan 31, 2013.

1. White Wind

White Wind MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    Hi everyone.. I'm about to buy Windows 8 pro 64 bit, on DVD with the box, and money-wise it really is time to do so ! I plan to install it on a PC (one only) that I'll begin to build soon.

As of now I'm on XP, but I don't own any legit copy of Windows nor a license, and I'm wondering if buying the upgrade version, plus applying the regedit (MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0) will grant me a license ( so I won't have trouble with Windows Update, or with downloading something from their site )

OR

do I have to buy the GGK version to get that license ?

Both prices are the same here.. One of those two would be a better buy ?

sorry if that sounds, well, noobish, but I'd really like to know if I'm mistaking anywhere if I choose to go with the GGK version

Thanks in advance for your precious piece of advise about my case !

2. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    My Suggestion , if we see both the licence technically, and given you are going to build a new system.

GGK :

The Get Genuine Kit can never be used on a new PC. It can be used only to legalize Windows software on an existing PC.

upgrade :

To qualify, needs one legally purchased previous operating system.

Better Option

Microsoft FPP [full version software licenses/Full Packaged Product] ,if you want to be completely legal. Else any retail key $15/$39/$69. will do with or without a workaround.

3. White Wind

White Wind MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    Thank you for your detailed answer, I appreciate that.

But I'm not sure about what a retail key actually is. It means an upgrade version? If it's something in a box, a picture of it would be helpful.. as for the fpp version as well.

To be clearer, I have a copy on a CD of Win XP 32bit that is not legit, and my goal is to get Win 8 pro 64bit on a future build, with an access to Windows Update.

So, installing Win XP 32 on that future build and then upgrading through GGK is not an option, because the system doesn't exist as of now (plus maybe 32 --> 64 may be problematic)

Those retail keys can make me achieve my goal ?

4. White Wind

White Wind MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    #4 White Wind, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    (OP)
    I'm still digging it.
    Now the question would be: do I go with OEM version, system builder OEM version or FFP version ? (that last one being ungooglelable anywhere in a shop or an e-shop, at least in my country, Belgium.. but yes, it seems to be the best one)

still assuming I'm wanting to have a proper license of Win 8 pro 64-bit and an access to Windows Update, for a future PC still non-build, while I just own a non-legit copy of Win XP 32-bit on a CD at the moment

I can tell I'm a bit lost, and that the clock isn't my friend right about now ^^ :weight_lift2:

5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    The gray boxes (Pro) sold at WalMart for $199.97 say plainly on the box "Windows 8 Pro Upgrade"

The gray boxes sold previously for $69.97 were simply "Windows 8 Pro" and you can still find these at various places but probably not much longer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. White Wind

White Wind MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    #7 White Wind, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks for the input BTOR and Myrrh.. that helped me in some ways

So, that will be my last question :

If I get the upgrade version and do the workaround trick to install on a new empty SSD/and new mobo : will that grant me of a real license, that is 'compatible' with Windows Upgrade and with what MS would have to offer me through their servers ? (talking about WGA here)

(if no, I'm gonna get an OEM version, since System Builder OEM and FFP versions don't seem to like daylight, and are unreachable here)

7. White Wind

White Wind MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    wow......thanks a bunch BTOR
    and for your patience too

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    wwind, please provide a magnification glass for your words :D

9. White Wind

White Wind MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    #11 White Wind, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    (OP)
    But you've already got two of them ! ^_^ ....erm.. I must've reduced the size of the font, sorry

strangely on my screen the size appears as normal
    Well, never wrote on any forums before, but again thanks for the good first experience ( the first time is never forgettable )

On topic: my purchase went smoothly, the advices here made me confident about it and spare a good amount of euros and that's cool

Now will try to find how to apply the header 'SOLVED' at the thread name :holiday:

Edit: got it, has to be tagged... done