Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 UEFI modding

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kuniva, Mar 11, 2018.

1. kuniva

kuniva MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    Hey everyone, maybe someone can lend a hand here. Basically I'm fed up of waiting for Gigabyte to fix the firmware for the Gaming 5 so I have started modding it myself but I've hit a few stumbling blocks hoping someone with more tools than me to look at things in more depth can help. These are the bugs in the latest firmware (F22b) I'd like to fix;

- Broken 2400 and 2666 memory dividers when XMP is enabled (dividers work when XMP is disabled)
    This seems simply like poor memory compatibility so I'd like to identify and replace the module(s) in the firmware responsible for memory compatibility I already have a candidate in the X370-F as I've tested my Samsung B-Die memory kit on the X370-F and it works great with and without XMP.

- Incorrect colour when selecting the orange profile preset (its yellow)
    Just a pet peeve but seems easy enough to fix for someone with the right tools. Laughably Gigabyte said this problem is a "hardware limitation" despite the fact its easily fixed by manually changing the RGB settings (Red: 255, Green: 19, Blue: 0).

- Edit UI
    The default UI design is all manner of fugly. I've already worked out how to extract the firmware UI images and started on an edited UI design but I'm not sure how to successfully inject them again,

- Fix all the memory related options that don't display the default settings next to them
    No I don't know how something THIS obvious Gigabyte haven't fixed yet either.

- Increase the sensitivity of the mouse cursor in the UEFI to make using the RGB colour wheel easier to use

- Bring AMD CBS and PBS options in to the main directory tree so they are seen in AMIBCP for easy editing.

I know it's not likely going to be possible to fix all of these problems but the memory divider and mouse sensitivity issues at least would be nice to sort out. The Gaming 5 really is a buggy POS that Gigabyte just has no interest in fixing themselves (I've tried explaining to them 4-5+ times from different emails to get them to do something only to be fobbed off with excuses each and every time)

Thanks for reading everyone :)

2. kuniva

kuniva MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    Nobody? Hmm.. well an update on progress I'm currently testing memory compatibility I identified the module and am currently running 3466MHz so far completely stable. Before the module replacement in the firmware highest stable frequency was 3333MHz.

3. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    I will be one of the first to say that Gigabyte makes fairly abysmal motherboards. Your aesthetic peeves aside, they do little-to-no R&D when it comes to their motherboards and quite honestly, their drivers and utilities media that come with their motherboards are more effective in the trash than actually installed on a system.

9 times out of 10 their drivers, despite having a newer compile date, or a higher driver number, are almost never even equal to OEM drivers that Microsoft installs default in regards to speed and reliability. Their VIA drivers are an absolute travesty, as are their SATA drivers their website claims have been "optimized."

Their USB ports are also notorious for having unreliable read/write speeds as well as overall connectivity recognition. I've encountered many boards where I could see in real time various USB 3.0 and even 3.1 ports switching between 2.0 and 3.0/3.1 for no rhyme or reason. Moreover, many USB 2.0 peripheral devices will have sporatic moments where they will basically quit functioning for a second or two, and then the system will make its "Found New Device" noise (no new device screen comes up, though).

Their BIOS department is littered with people who have no idea what they're talking about, and often mislead end-users about the capabilities of a motherboard. I have read their responses that have claimed Secure Boot is "built-in" to their dual-boot UEFI BIOS (it's not). I have read their personal claims that many of their boards are eDrive ready when they are not eDrive ready nor will they ever be capable of eDrive functionality. They have claimed it's not possible to modify their BIOS to add ATA security password abilities when this is quite simply untrue. The latter I actually took some time and incorporated ATA security into an older 970A-D3P UEFI motherboard and sent them before and after pictures, as well as how I did it.

Their TPM header often will not seat a TPM module flush into it, requiring one to either purchase an extender or spend time shaving their TPM sister-board down to sit 100% flush.

The only good thing I can say about Gigabyte boards are they are built well. The chance of shorts is slim-to-none, things have never not lined up for me and it seems like their compatibility with memory is quite extensive despite what their support pages say.

I used Gigabyte pretty exclusively for years when it came to regular desktops, but their shady practices with misinformation over the past few years, and complete lack of R&D, made me go a different direction.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kuniva

kuniva MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
  5. kuniva

kuniva MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    Another small update, I'm pretty sure I've worked out how to bring AMD CBS and PBS options forward in to the main BIOS setup for easy editing in AMIBCP. It still alludes me as to where the LED preset colours are stored though.

6. Robincrt

Robincrt MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2018
    alguien me dice cómo puedo extraer el contenedor de un archivo. exe de mi placa asrock b250 gaming k4, ya que la bios se corrompió en una actualización, gracias

7. Robincrt

Robincrt MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2018
    someone tells me how I can extract the bin from a file. exe of my board asrock b250 gaming k4, since the bios was corrupted in an update, thanks

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    in past ive seen LED color and blink/audio beep pattern in dsdt in a table.. some dsdt editors in Mac side of hackintosh like insanelymac might know more.

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    They are up to F23d.
    Re Led. With amibcp it's in Setup\Peripherals\RGB Fusion\.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. kuniva

kuniva MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    Could you point me to where the dsdt table is? From there I should be able to figure out the rest. Thanks :D

Indeed, but sadly things like LED presets are not and those are the things I need to get at to fix.

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    usually looks like a bunch of numbers together and other calls further up to it .. id have to open dsdt and read in for 1 hr.. working . il try tonight (in 8 hrs)

12. kuniva

kuniva MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    Ok great, I'll patiently wait :)

13. kuniva

kuniva MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    Not quite. The RGB fusion software just links to what is built in to the firmware so you can manually fix the bug after the fact as it were but not implement an actual bare metal fix. When you enter the UEFI go to RGB Fusion there you will see a bunch of presets you can select, the orange preset particularly is completely wrong (its more of a summer yellow) its an easy bug to fix but I need to find out where the preset values are kept so I can fix this bug. For someone working at GB this bug would take about 5 mins to fix at most it is literally a case of going to where the colour preset values are kept in the firmware (most likely a module of their own but no idea which module it is at this time) and changing whatever the Hex colour code is for orange to FE2100.