Gigabyte board bricked, advice needed

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by jabberwocky, Nov 3, 2010.

1. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    just bought a new gigabyte board GA-880GM-UD2H (rev1) tried the usual method of bios update via award bios tool (147)
    award bios , same version as my other motherboards (all successfully modded) using SSV3 method, but the new bios ver:F8 would not modd using the above SSV3 method ,giving the error "unable to perform an SSV3 mod as there is no EPA module."
    not knowing that much about the other methods I tried SSV1 mothod and it appeared to work showing up as successful . I did ask if this would be ok on this forum but got no replies , so being an idiot I flashed the bios the same way I have allways done with Gigabyte boards ,and totally bricked it ,the only things working were the hard drive and system fans , no light from dvd or floppy no graphics . completely fu**ed.
    I phoned the place I got it from and told them it was dead as soon as I fitted it ,and a new board is on the way .
    I have today tried a different approach ,I downloaded all of the bios versions ,from f2 to f8 ,and tried to mod all of them using the normal (for gigabyte) ssv3 method . f2 to f6 all modded ok using ssv3 ,7 and 8 gave the above (no epa module) error ,but i find that if I choose SSV3 and advanced and select ACPIBTL at end ,f7and f8 will now mod .
    was I totally wrong using ssv1 and why .and what advice would you give ,try the earlier version bios(f6 ) modded with ssv3 .or the later F8 using ssv3/ ACPIBTL at end version.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008

Either SSv3 with ACPITBL at end or 0+2 method..Did you try 0+2?? Its been a LONG time since I have seen a GB board brick..

Using FLASHSPI from DOS?????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    sorry freestyler I am not trying to waste anyones time here ,I got replies yesterday but did not get and have still not got an answer to the question asked . the facts are the motherboard heatsink cover (flashy gigabyte logo) clicked when I first picked up the board , I assumed it was just the cover loose .
    fitted the board and all the hardware ,double check and start up .
    after a perfect startup , I entered bios and set all the settings to suit the hardware I was using . restart .everything ok .double check the bios settings . using another pc I modded the bios .
    SSV3 refused to work ,(no epa module) so I tried SSV1 it completed successfully , flash bios and it bricked .
    the original question was ,why after several other gigabyte boards modding perfectly with SSV3 did this one refuse , and my second question was ,was there any reason why I should not have tried SSV1 .
    I appologise to all concerned ,its not my intention to waste time ,or wind anyone up .
    after removing the board ,I had a closer look at the heatsink , and it does look dodgy . but I still think I am to blame for the bios bricking it .
    either way I am awaiting a replacement board .
    I have in the meanwhile downloaded all the bios available from F2 to f8 . I have noticed that f2 to f6 will mod successfully using the SSV3 method ,f7 and f8 wont , giving the above error. however they will mod using SSV3 along with ACPITBL at end.
    so my only questions now are ,was it so wrong to have used SSV1 ,and last of all in your oppinion should the above SSV3 along with ACPITBL at end work .
    sorry for my long winded approach but I am trying to get the points accross as easily as possible .
    thanks to all for the advice ,and once again I appologise if I have offended anyone.

4. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    may I add ,the flashing method used was to select f8 on the bios home screen for QFlash .then flash from a usb pendrive .
    its worked perfectly on several gigabyte boards in the past few months .all of them having the same award modular bios v6.00pg
    thats why I am so baffled .

5. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Why do things change? Most likely because they needed the EPA module space in bios for something else or [paranoia]MS asked them to remove the EPA module because of all the bios mods[/paranoia]
    No honestly, do you really expect a useful answer from anyone here? I would say ask GIgabyte ;)
    SSV1 method never has been a advised option for Gigabyte boards, so why you used it in the first place is a complete mystery for me.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The EPA was likely removed for space for microcode or future improvements..

Methods for GB was ISA, o+2, OEM7 and the best is SSv3. SSv1 on special occasion, and usually manual after seeing the module layout. You were explicitly told SSv3 with ACPITBL at end should and has worked...as usual, flash at your own risk.....Even the most stable bios brick from time to time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. cloves

cloves MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    If you still havent recovered goto the gigabyte boards. They are very helpful with bios recovery. forum at tweaktown.com

8. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    its ok the board was replaced no questions asked and the new one is fully modded OS loaded and with its new owner . found a good way to get the dual bios to kick in though ,with the pc running switch off at the mains plug ,then while holding the pc start button in ,switch back on at the plug after a second or two the machine will start up , now switch off again at the plug .then start the machine normally ,most of the time the dual bios will kick in and restore the bios to the originals from the backup set .
    read it on another site ,and it worked for me ,but I sent the board back anyway for replacement as the heatsink on the graphics chip was suspect .

9. supervaloch

supervaloch MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2010
    I have test with the GA-880GM-UD2H (rev1.3)
    With the isa method its should works but when you try to enter setup (del) the bios freeze !!!!!
    With the o+2 method its should works but when the system is ready to boot "booting the system now" _ it freeze.
    The OEM7 method doesn't work, i have not test the SSV1 too dangerous!!!

If any one have the solution, option to check ???

10. EyeTech

EyeTech MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    Hello Serg008.. Thank you for the link.....:SmallAwesomeSmiley: