Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-D3H

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by crabhunter, Dec 20, 2012.

1. crabhunter

crabhunter MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Has anyone here installed Windows 8 on one of these Mobos? My installation hangs at the very first windows logo.
    It seems lots of people have this issue on a variety of systems but no post I've found offers a solution.
    The board is advertised as Windows 8 compatible.
    I have tried both 32bit and 64bit, Windows 7 loads fine.
    Mike

2. jimm2

jimm2 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2012
    I have this mobo and recall that I kept getting a disk error or something like that during the install process and win 8 wouldn't install on any existing partition. After searching around online, I found I had to change a bios setting, again don't remember exactly which one but once I did that, the install proceeded normally. Took several days to figure it out.

3. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Legacy mode maybe?

4. thisorthat

thisorthat MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2012
    Most likely a BIOS setting for the cpu security bit (or something to that effect) which Win8 needs to install properly.

5. echo2

echo2 MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2012
    That also happened on one of my computers, i had to disable something on the bios but i cant really remember what.
    hmm...try disabling some card readers
    or enable NX

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. crabhunter

Dec 30, 2009
    Well I fiddled with the bios settings, none of which seemed wrong but suddenly the installer ran and it's now installed.
    I wish I knew which setting was responsible in case anyone else has problems.
    Mike

7. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Yet another very informative thread... not.

Q: What did you do?
    A: Dont know, but hey it worked :stupid:

8. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Or what anarchist9027 already mentioned: Legacy mode enabled, or changed interface from IDE to AHCI...

Could be anything, but we never will know :weeping:

9. tasss

tasss MDL Novice

May 6, 2007
    I had the same problem, not just at the beginning but at any point of the installation, now the nx, and other processor features have to be present and can be checked by the tool from microsoft, the Windows8-UpgradeAssistant.
    The problem I had ended when I realised that it was similar to a problem I had with windows 98, system is overloaded with data and when I understood that I installed by usb at usb 1 setting, it gave a lover speed, it installed fine it took around an hour to install but it runs fine now. I think it is a driver problem which allovs dvd and usb to load data to fast, Microsoft did it again.

10. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    #11 S_A_S, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    :laie:

How can you compare WIN98 to WIN8 :(

It's USB 1.0 versus USB 3.0
    IDE versus AHCI
    PATA versus SATA

11. crabhunter

Dec 30, 2009
    Just a quick update, last night I reset the bios to default settings and as expected windows 8 failed to start.
    I thought I had a rough idea of which settings I changed but I still lost track of which I had to change to get it to boot again.
    What I shall do next is write down all the settings then reset the bios and work out once and for all which are the crucial settings.
    Mike

12. thisorthat

thisorthat MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2012
    Since you got yourself into this mess, how about you reset the BIOS to default and note the change that allows Win8 to function properly and report back here. Seriously.

13. crabhunter

Dec 30, 2009
    OK, the settings that need changing from default are,

Boot mode selection = Legacy
    Other PCI Device Rom priority = Legacy
    Onchip Sata channel = Native IDE

Mike

14. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    If you don't have P-ATA HDD's than you can set chipset channel to AHCI.

15. crabhunter

Dec 30, 2009
    I'm using an ssd hard drive and unless I select Native IDE windows 8 won't boot or run from the dvd.
    Mike