Gigabyte GA-Z68 series, surprise UEFI BIOS update available

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by freevista, Jun 22, 2012.

1. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Just noticed this, there is apparently a full UEFI bios update available for these boards, not a hybrid one like previous ones. I guess we bios mod users are better to avoid it, I'm using GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with modded F12 bios.

But I'm just curious, what does that bios update change in the bios setup? Does it start up faster/slower? UEFI bios mod possible yet? And most importantly, I hope it does not lock downgrading back to the trusty, old, and easily moddable Award bios? Award bios was actually one of the reasons I picked this board.

Could this update be related with the upcoming Windows 8? I'm not upgrading to that either, just curious..:rolleyes: But I tried W8 Release Preview with multiboot, and for some reason W8's boot menu appeared very slowly. I fixed it by changing the boot order from Windows 7, after that it went back to W7 boot menu and everything works as previously.

2. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    My laptop had EUFI and it worked fine with a bios mod. UEFI does start up faster compared to the older bios system. I don't think it has something to do with Windows 8 either because oem's wont use SLIC for activation.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    true. they feel stupid about SLIC idea now... so therye gona go secure boot in UEFI (prevents linux from working likely)
    UEFI is just more robust platform that trumps old bios legacy limitations.

4. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    To Gigabyte Z68 owners anyone tried the update yet?

5. Mr Been

Mr Been MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I have this Motherboard GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 too. The old Bioses I modded myself. Thankyou ANDYP!!
    I would love to try the new one too, but I'm no expert and it's too risky for me
    and I don't know how to do it??

6. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I can totally understand, the risk is just too high, losing your Windows 7 "license". We just have to wait someone who has a real license (btw. I hope this update doesn't trigger reactivation, I guess not if all the other hardware stays the same), or uses Windows Loader by Daz.

7. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
  8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2012
    I signed up for this forum to THANK YOU! I tested this russian method when I flashed to the new UEFI bios. It looked nice but was missing key features for OCing like LLC and PLL over voltage. I went by the steps in the video a down graded to F12 without any issues.

This method only flashes the main bios so once you get back to the bios I would suggest flashing the F12 in Qflash just to make sure both bioses are the same.

THANKS AGAIN!

9. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    No problem. Good to know that the new UEFI bios has also missing features. I hope someone does a full review of it at some point.

10. dumble

dumble MDL Member

Jan 17, 2009
    I just updated to the eufi bios. I have this card:
    GigaByte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (rev. 1.3)

It's alot faster now! I don't need to mod, i've got genuine win8 via dreamspark account from my Uni. It boots up in less then 5 seconds.
    I do have an ssd, but still almost twice as fast as the older bios. Plus it looks much cooler!