GIGABYTE motherboards modded bios activation problem - dual bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by swfsnapper, Jul 20, 2010.

1. swfsnapper

swfsnapper MDL Novice

May 7, 2010
    Hi,

Hopefully this will save someone a couple of hours research.

If you have a GIGABYTE MB with the Dual BIOS facility and modded BIOS, then all of a sudden your Win7 becomes Not Genuine! Check the BIOS hasn't reverted to the basic F1 version as mine did today. I suspect the Dual BIOS kicked in after a power glitch?

Still, quick fix, just update the modded BIOS and reactivate. ;)

Ta

SwFsnapper

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I have a Gigabyte board with dual bios. Im running F5 bios at the moment. What i do is set up a small a small fat-32 partition about 100mb. Save a copy of your slic'd bios to that partition and reflash using qflash. Ive not had this issue myself but re-flashing will work for you. Not sure if you will need to re-insert key and cert though. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I have a dual bios and also a gigabyte board....no problems here after 1 year.

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Won't happen with a loader. Can't figure out why M$ and OEMs haven't shut down BIOS mods with some kind of hash number and special hardware on only their OEM machine boards like a TPM chip.

Mystifies me why they didn't do it before 7 was released unless the rumour that they'd rather have you running pirated windows than linux is true.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Druco

Druco MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    SwFsnapper

I may have that same problem with a PC that I built for a friend. Let me try to clearify your recovery process: When you say "update the modded BIOS" do you mean re-flash the BIOS with the 2.1 and reload the cert ?

What stops this from reoccuring?

thanks,
    druco

6. swfsnapper

swfsnapper MDL Novice

May 7, 2010
    Druco,

Yes, I mean re-flash the BIOS with the 2.1 but no need to reload the cert or key.

No idea why my Mobo dual BIOS kicked in. I suspect a power interruption maybe??

7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    As far as i understand the secondary bios chip activates if the first becomes damaged or corrupted somehow. This has'nt happened to me though.

8. kvic

kvic MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2007
    I have had it running close to a year and no problem but thanks for the info.

9. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Glad to be of help :D

10. James33

James33 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2008
    On my board I flashed both, that way the back up also have slic info.

11. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    On my EP-45-DS3R -Dual Bios- This happened to me once 6 months ago. Just after a power failure Win7 become not genuine. I found quickly that the spare Bios was loaded. (No Slic).
    Just put my Usb Key and Flash the F10 Modded Bios then reboot... ;)
    @james33 , How do you flash the spare Bios. ? I suppose It's stored into ROM, not Eeprom. ?

12. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Im interested to know how you achieved this ? According to the manual for my Gigabyte board, the secondary bios chip cannot be flashed manually.

13. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009

Yeah...i am also interested in this.

14. 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider

Aug 15, 2009
    #14 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
    Gigabyte Dual bios NOT problem here

I've got dual bios & gigabyte boards EP45-DS3L & GA-P55A -UD3... to suggest problem is ludicrous / amusing ... :p

I've never had the dual bios kick in on EP45DS3L & GA-P55A -UD3 either, even though i've had a couple, 3 power outages the last 18 months. Had 0 interrupted activations on my test of theory beta boxes.
    Could be because it's set to "stay off after power failure" in bios.
    Profiles & F12 @startup is convienient to use after a power interruption!

Ps Try it you'll love it.

15. Airclocker

Airclocker MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    I also hve a dual bios gigabyte board and had the same problem bt i just used another loader. Thanx for the info

16. zzdiesel

zzdiesel MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    Mine did this yesterday when it crashed on boot. Now, I can't find the modded bios file anywhere. It was here on My Digital Life, but I guess it got too old. :(

17. vitek

vitek MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    +1

I use a 10MB Fat32 partition for exactly this purpose and keep four bios files there, current unmodified and slic 2.1 versions as well as the previous versions of both. (in case sh*t)

No more messing with USB keys and qflash makes updating supper easy.
    UPS also helps!

18. YIN

YIN MDL Member

May 31, 2009
    on my new mobo (ma78lmt-us2h) i make FACS mod and i its never restored to the original bios

19. djjonastybe

djjonastybe MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2009
    #19 djjonastybe, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    Why would Gigabyte, ASUS, ACER, ... care about Microsoft?

You have computer manufacturers who build computers.
    They use Windows as Operating System.
    They buy components from other companies which have nothing to do with Microsoft in some way.

Anyway you can look at it the way you want. But it's the same like asking for a peaceful world without wars going on.

It's simply impossible.

Think and you will know why :)

The only way is dumping SLIC table in ROMS which are not rewriteable. And even that may be bypassed by some smart guy.

20. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    With Gigabyte ,if you want to flash the backup bios ,it cannot be done directly ,but after flashing the 1st bios ,make sure everything is up and running ok ,and then reboot ,during reboot hold down Alt +F12 to synchronise the two bios ,in effect this copies all from your main bios to your backup bios .
    for some reason though it works only when using an oldtype PS2 keyboard .it wont work with usb .
    but it definately works I have done it on at least 3 machines . its in a couple of topics over at the Gigabyte forum.