Gigabyte P45 - AHCI - SATA 3

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by kenyvu, Aug 28, 2016.

1. kenyvu

kenyvu MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2012
    #1 kenyvu, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Hi,

Current my desktop motherboard Gigabyte P45 are using configuration AHCI mode with HDD SATA 2. All works fine without any problems.

I have just bought a new HDD WD sata 3. When installing a new HDD in AHCI mode and boot from DVD to reinstall windows, HDD sata 3 was recognized and installed in normal. After reboot machine and boot from new HDD will be hanged. If you switch from AHCI mode to IDE mode for installing and booting from the new HDD without problem.

As I know AHCI mode in P45 is sata 2. With HDD sata 3 in AHCI mode above, do support?

Regards,
    Keny

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Get the driver for controller first.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally there shouldn't be a problem! I use mixed SATA 2 and 3 with no problems on an Asrock 990FX Fatal1ty MB, all HDD's set for AHCI Mode, in BIOS.

One thing could maybe happen, if you'd set the Boot Mode to Fast, it may prevent the new HDD from booting correctly!

Anyway, as long as you didn't post the exact Model of your Gigabyte MB, we couldn't help!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  5. kenyvu

kenyvu MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2012
    My desktop motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L.

I have set boot priority from new HDD sata 3 and Fast boot is default Disable in Bios.

Today, i'm disable Onboard IDE Controller in Bios (default is Enable) and they are working now.

Thanks very much.

Regards,
    keny

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's an old Socket 775 Mainboard and, and Gigabyte's BIOS'se have to be handled with care all times. If you ever place an IDE Drive inside, be an HDD or a CD/DVD, you could enable the IDE again and all will works.

Just a reminder, if you ask for help about Hardware problems, all times post the relevant data, like Model, Version etc., so you could get more easy help at MDL!

Good to see that all works now. Have a good time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...