Gmail accounts

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by lostpassword, Feb 17, 2016.

1. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I have several GMAIL addresses which I use for different purposes. e.g. AMAZON - FORUMS - etc. I use Outlook to read the important address, and Online GMAIL for all the others. You might think this stupid, but I feel it is safer to have only a few important emails from trusted accounts going into my OUTLOOK data file.

What I want to do is login to what I consider my main GMAIL account, and then automatically pick up all the other emails from the remaining GMAIL accounts.

I am using POP to access GMAIL on all accounts, and want to stay with POP.

Reading the various GMAIL help pages it seems possible, but I cannot crack it. Obviously I know the correct passwords for the other accounts.
    On one of the GMAIL help forums someone else has the same problem, and despite many attempts at help, the problem cannot be solved.

It would be very helpful if someone here could confirm it possible, and whether they have actually done it. I must stress I am only talking about other GMAIL accounts and no other email accounts. Thanks

2. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Can you at least use Office Outlook to access 1 of your GMail accounts but not several?

I am able to do this (access 1 Gmail account) after tweaking a Account setting to allow "Less secure apps".
    Generally I do this every once-in-awhile to print the emails in certain folders, it works good for this.

note: I am using Office 2010 Outlook for this.

3. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I can use Office Outlook to access as many GMAIL accounts as I want, but I do not want to use Outlook on these less important, and potentially risky emails. I mean risky in the sense that an email coming from an online forum is more likely to be dangerous than one from AMAZON or EBAY.

I just want to bookmark the main GMAIL account, and automatically get the emails for the other GMAIL accounts imported to the main GMAIL account. This would save having to login into multiple GMAIL accounts, and then back to the main account.

I am not unique in wanting this. If you Google the subject there are numerous posts about doing this, and some say it is possible, and others say not.

4. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #5 lostpassword, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    (OP)
    I do not want to forward my GMAILS to another provider or have them in my Outlook .pst file

I have 6 GMAIL accounts in total - lets call them
    important@gmail.com
    lesser1@gmail.com
    lesser2@gmail.com
    lesser3@gmail.com
    lesser4@gmail.com
    lesser5@gmail.com

I use Outlook 2016 to get the emails for important@gmail.com, whilst still leaving a copy on the GMAIL server

I login to GMAIL as lesser1@gmail.com, and want all emails for lesser1, lesser2, lesser3, lesser4 and lesser5 to end up in lesser1@gmail.com. I realise that there will be a copy left in lesser2,3,4,5 etc, but I do not want to login in to 5 different GMAIL accounts just to check new emails.

With regard to forwarding GMAILs you cannot forward them to another online GMAIL account (only another provider). I am trying to say I only want the important@gmail.com stuff in my OUTLOOK data file outlook.pst.

If anyone has done exactly what I want I would be very grateful for some tips.

5. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If you want them to go to lesser1 than why have these other accounts at all. Just delete them & use lesser1.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Always have used multiple email addressees since the start of the Web. One for buying stuff and financial transactions. One for buying online tickets. Others for registering to forums and download sites. Where there is a download limit, just logout - clear browser, and login again with different address.

I do not want the stuff of lesser importance to get into my Outlook data file, but all the other GMAIL stuff would be simpler to view in one location. Loads of posts about this, but very hard to understand some, and I just wanted confirmation it is possible. No luck here so far.

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I think you're just being awkward, there are plenty of solutions, your OCD or whatever it is stopping you from wanting everything forwarded to outlook is your own issue

Get over it and forward them

If it's about security, remember, the more emails you own, the more chance of getting hacked

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Well then why don't you install another client just for these lesser accounts. Thunderbird works fine...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Anyone who uses gmail must be forgiven not to understand this.... You are NOT using six differnt e-mail adresses...

10. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    are you sure?

11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Will just throw this out there. Use 1 gmail and 1 outlook and have the outlooks use aliases for garbage you sign up for and what not. Then have the gmail pull all the mails from the outlook so you never have to login to outlook again.

12. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #14 lostpassword, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    (OP)
    Flipp3r that thought had crossed my mind, but I was still hoping for a solution where the data would be held online, and I want to minimise the number of programs on my PC.

Sorry MrMagic - I am not trying to be awkward. Maybe you are not familiar with sites where an email is required to join, and where data access can be limited.

ThomasMann - I am not sure what you mean. Is there a difference between a GMAIL address, and an address from an ISP ?. I do use outlook 2016 for the GMAIL important account, as I do want the emails held on my computer where the pst file can be backed up. I do not trust online storage 100%. Email seems to work the same way with GMAIL as other ISPS ?? A custom setup is required to use POP3, but it is not difficult. I must be missing something here, or are you not a fan of Google? If that is the case I agree with you that these Multi Nationals do not appear to be playing fair over tax, but sadly GOOGLE programs seem to work as well or better than others. The GOOGLE spreadsheet is better than EXCEL in some ways, once the slightly odd syntax for live data retrieval is mastered. I am not bothered about who is monitoring my activity, as I have nothing I am ashamed of to hide, unless DAZ LOADER is enough to get eternal damnation - Maybe - but we will not know for sure until we die !!

As I have mentioned on other posts, I am not a genius like DAZ or others, and I use this forum to get advice and help from those more capable than me. I am still not convinced by any of the answers that it is not sensible to have different GMAIL accounts for different uses.

13. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  14. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Interesting page - many thanks. Never actually known this done before.

As you obviously know a lot about GMAIL is is feasible to do what I want? The attraction is to save time logging to multiple accounts, but still have a backup of the emails in the various accounts. Although most of these emails are not important there might be the odd one that is.

I still cannot get an answer to whether emails can be retrieved from GMAIL accounts to one GMAIL account. I know they can be imported from non GMAIL accounts. It is not clear on the settings page, but an error always comes up.

Just found GOOGLE app MAILFETCHER from a comment on another forum, might be what I need. Will report back later.

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Ah, so you need multiple email addresses, so you can have multiple accounts on forums.... it all becomes clear

Maybe Admin should perform an IP check on you? See how many accounts you have here? ;)

16. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Hardly any of your business why OP wants to use more than one email address.
    Maybe Admin should kick your arse out of here for a bit. WTF is wrong with you!

17. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    For your info I have one account on all forums, only use multiple emails on sites where there is a download limit, or want to "lend one to a friend". Certain sites are very tricky to register with if English is only language, and Google Translate does not work.