Gobi 4000 Compatibility for THINKPAD W520

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by fasdf78, Dec 27, 2012.

1. fasdf78

fasdf78 MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2012
    Hello everyone,

I wish you all Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Well,I am new here and I need your help.I did a little research on the forums,but I couldn't find anything helpful for my machine.

I was looking for an internal network card with 4G LTE capabilities and I ended up with a [h=1]
    Sierra MC7750 Gobi4000 Mini PCI-e GSM GPRS HSPA+ LTE 100MB 3G WWAN WIFI Card GPS
    [/h]

The problem is that I have been told in the Lenovo Forums that this card eventhough Lenovo supports the driver for my machine,it isn't compatible with it because of the BIOS whitelist.So I didn't bought it

Before you start the explanations to modify the BIOS,are there any other internal networking card,except for the aforementioned one,for the Thinkpad W520 4270 CTO with 4G LTE capabilities?

If not please feel free to explain!:D

Thanks for your time.

2. fasdf78

fasdf78 MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks man.I did it.Now I will order the net card and see if it works.

Happy Holidays.

3. fasdf78

fasdf78 MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2012
    #4 fasdf78, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    (OP)
    Well I received the card and I added to the laptop,but I it seems it is not working.I am pretty sure that I have attached the wires of the laptop on the card correctly.(The orange one goes to the "main" and the blue one to the "aux").Is it something extra that I have to do besides flashing with the modded BIOS ROM?

Sorry for asking but I am a newbie.

I just want to make sure before I tell the seller that it is broken to cover everything that I have done wrong or didn't do at all and may prevent the card to work properly.

Please if you do not mind help me.

4. fasdf78

fasdf78 MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2012
    Could someone at least tell me the way to add an exception to the whitelist of my BIOS to make it work.I have looked on the forum but I got confused.My laptop is a Lenovo THINKPAD W520 (4270CTO).I do not know if it is an Award or a Phoenix or anything else.Is it possible for someone to show me the right guide to modify the BIOS myself.Plus,I do not like the 10 beeps either everytime my laptop starts(but this is secondary)