God damn 0x0000007B

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sookoop, Apr 29, 2022.

1. sookoop

sookoop MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2015
  2. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    You need to integrate same drivers into install.wim too, integrating into boot.wim is only for first setup part. As you reported installer works good and you encounter BSOD 7B after first reboot. That indicates missing driver in install.wim

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sookoop

sookoop MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2015
    #3 sookoop, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    (OP)
    I already did, I always put in both. :(
    I also tried to install Win7 using WinNTSetup but same result.

4. GlacialMan

GlacialMan MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2011
    Alternatives to Wondows 7 are Windows XP, Linux and WinPE, if you like them

5. wilenty

wilenty MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2014
    On Intel 12th Gen. :roflmao:

@sookoop
    For first install W10 or W11 to check if your computer works correctly... Ten try with W7.

BTW, 0x0000007B means: boot drive/hard drive not found

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Error 7B is storage driver. If the drive is seen in winpe and setup is able to format & prepare the drive with the OS, perhaps the drivers aren't integrated in the install.wim properly...
    Maybe the driver isn't integrated in all indexes???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #8 George King, Apr 30, 2022
    Why not? I think it's possible. I have already PMed him with latest testing XP2ESD image to see if it's possible. According to currently compiled new ACPI 2.0 it should work, with XP x64 UEFI boot teoreticaly possible.

EDIT: I think it will work as from another test Z690 worked. Then can be easily backuped all drivers, then find equivalents for Windows 7. Best could be Fernando modded 1106 Intel AHCI driver.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    For sooooooo many reasons.

Best advise was to first test with modern and supported OS to see if that installs fine.

9. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #10 George King, Apr 30, 2022
  10. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Offtopic: 100% privacy, working antiviruses, browsers under active development, old Windows 9X applications works, most drivers still exist. Of course best to multiboot it with 7 and 10. All possible with new XP2ESD setup engine and POWIS Launcher from one setup media with Unattended support :)

11. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Use a SATA SSD / HDD as target, preferably with the M.2 drives unplugged / disabled.
    Then add NVMe drivers in the working OS, and finally clone the SATA drive to the M.2
    The BIOS tho will be problematic, I don't think ASUS has any plans to support 7 on this motherboard.

12. sookoop

sookoop MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2015
    Ok so I tried clean W7 SP1 ISO + ACPI.sys fix + KB2864202 + USB3 drivers, still stuck at language selection screen BUT I noticed something that I didn't paid attention before, my mouse and keyboard are responding, I mean, LEDs are turned on and are responding (caps/num lock), even when I unplug then plug them back, maybe the display is frozen ? Maybe it is not an USB3 issue at all ?

Also, I'm going to try a BIOS downgrade to see if I get the same result.

13. kebabstorm

kebabstorm MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2016
  14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Afaik that post was about the copying of setup.exe from the boot.wim index 2 sources to the sources folder on the ISO, else you can get "driver not found..." errors.

Like i do in the original MDL Simplix tool script:
    Code:
    echo.
    echo=================================================================================
    echo Extracting setup.exe from boot to iso sources folder...
    echo=================================================================================
    echo.
    %_wimlib% extract TEMP\WIN7ISO\sources\boot.wim 2 sources\setup.exe --no-acls --dest-dir=TEMP\WIN7ISO\Sources

timeout /T 2 /nobreak >nul
    echo.

15. kebabstorm

Aug 3, 2016
    By the way, isn't the modded acpi.sys part of the UEFI class 3 requirement? So in OP's case it shouldn't be required?

16. sookoop

sookoop MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2015
    Sadly, BIOS downgrade (1.30 -> 1.10) didn't change anything :(
    I tried:
    Clean W7 SP1 ISO + ACPI.sys fix + KB2864202 + USB3 drivers: still stuck at language selection
    SiMPLiX ISO: 0x0000007B again after setup reboot

Thanks @kebabstorm for the MSI + root folder information, I'll try it.

I can enable CSM in my BIOS but still needs ACPI.sys fix or I get the 0x000000A5 BSoD.

17. kebabstorm

Aug 3, 2016
    #20 kebabstorm, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Can you try the tool I posted, use MBR BIOS boot and only add the acpi.sys to it? If MBR does not work then UEFI with CSM.

Note that the mode which the usb key is booted (UEFI or MBR) is decided in your bios boot order. To make sure you have booted into the right mode, when you are presented with the welcome screen (language selection) , press SHIFT+F10 to open a command prompt and type "notepad \Windows\panther\setupact.log" then do CTRL+F for "Detected boot environment". It should have a line which says either BIOS or UEFI

note to self: I should look into what files the windows installer loads and how to mod the installer to show this info in the welcome screen without having to use the notepad trick.

edit: I linked a test setup for acpi mod to this post . try it out whether it works for you, as I don't have the hardware to test it

edit 2: i think that your problem with the being stuck in the welcome screen (lang select) is because of botched acpi.sys patch. as i tried the one posted here in some thread and had it freeze in the welcome screen too when testing in vm. i then looked the patch in ida and it seems that it was patched in a way where it will always return an error instead of being the other way around, and hence it can never work. thats why it froze my vm which doesnt have the acpi error to begin with. if u go to the sub_4D290 func in acpi.sys you can see what i mean. i patched the acpi.sys the same way the xp one was patched , so the error should be skipped instead. but idk if it works, as i haven't got any way to test it. it works in my vm but it obviously don't have the acpi error anyway.