Going from Windows 7 HP to Ultimate via Anytime Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SleepingAwake, Dec 28, 2018.

1. SleepingAwake

SleepingAwake MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2018
    So I've had Windows 7 Home Premium, an OEM copy, installed on my PC for years now. But now I want Windows 7 Ultimate. Good hustle, I know.

From what I understand after searching up some posts and seeing similar situations, my OEM key prevents me ifrom just popping in an Ultimate OEM SLP key into the Anytime Upgrade and going from there.

What I'll need to do is use the loader to modify the type of license I have installed, then start the Anytime Upgrade process. Is this correct?

I think I get what to do, but I want to make completely sure that I do this correctly.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You should be able to use one the oem:slp keys from the keys.ini file from the loader, should not matter on what activation you are now, slic/oem systembuilder key or retail key.

3. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Do you know for sure that it is not already OEM-SLP? Running slmgr /dlv should tell you. If it is, just use an OEM-SLP key for Ultimate.

If the computer was shipped from the manufacturer with 7 Home Premium pre-installed, there is a good chance it has the bios slic table needed for OEM-SLP, and no loader would be needed.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  5. SleepingAwake

SleepingAwake MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2018
    My OEM key was bought, so I assume that's considered a OEM systembuilder key. And there's nothing else I would have to do with the loader, like installing anything with it? Just look into the keys.ini file from the loader and use that as my upgrade key for W7 Ultimate?

Also, once the upgrade process starts, my files will not be affected, the only things that happen are just features being unlocked. Right?

I should have been clearer earlier (was half-asleep when I posted this thread). My PC is custom-built, and I bought an OEM key for Windows 7 Home Premium.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Your files won't be affected.

You will need the loader to activate Ultimate.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No oem:slp key cannot update oem system builder installation.

8. SleepingAwake

SleepingAwake MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2018
    I should note that when i ran slmgr /dlv, the resulting dialog told me that I had a "OEM_COA_NSLP channel".

9. SleepingAwake

SleepingAwake MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2018
    Just got back to report a success. Used a key to activate the W7U upgrade process (damn thing took >30 minutes, though), restarted twice, used the DAZ Loader to activate the chosen key, rebooted once more, and everything is up and running proper.

Thanks for the help, all.

10. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Sounds good now. The loader undoubtedly has now fixed you up with whatever oem-slp certificate you needed.

11. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    Be sure to have System Protection or System Restore enabled before performing the Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) from Win7 home premium to Win7 ultimate. The WAU upgrade from a lower edition to a higher edition (Win7 HP to Win7 Ult.) fails if System Restore is turned off or disabled and will be asked to turn on system restore before attempting to run the windows anytime upgrade to change to a higher edition as I found out myself