Going to buy a Huawei... Good move?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Coastal Jay, Sep 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Coastal Jay

Coastal Jay MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2018
    #1 Coastal Jay, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Hi I'm considering upgrading from my iPhone 5c to a Huawei Nova 3e. Anyone know anything good/bad about Huawei phones?? My budget is about $350 Australian. I've never used android before but I'm a low level nerd so I figure I should be fine. Cheers!

2. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Good stuff... seems to be bigger than apple by now... the one thing bad (at least with the tablet) basically unrootable... the tablet has four Harman Kardon speakers built-in, unbelievable sound, they seem to use quality....

3. Just the bold word is enough for me to say no.
    This brand is now Apple-bis.
    Consider a Xiaomi instead, imo it's the best price/quality ratio atm.

4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Well... I am a bit of a weirdo... in my world a bold word is neither a reason for nor against something.
    On the other hand you may be right still.... I only know Huawei tablets, without actually knowing their phones, I se no reason not to believe they might just be the same quality. The first criticism of Huawei products I heard... was your "bold word".
    Do you know more? I am always willing to learn...

5. Damn sorry i forgot this topic ! Forgive me.
    Well, Huawei said basically "no" to custom ROMS (for example if you don't want a bloated rom with google play) since they locked for good the bootloader.

It's up to your needs tho.

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

That is what I wrote.....

7. What are you needs ?

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Reading on ezPDF, listening to Music Folder Player (NOTHING better than Huawei Speakers), Watching Videos on VLC, Checking mail on Firefox, and using mapfaktor navigator for driving.....

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Going to buy a Huawei... Good move?

NO, unless it's Android One or a Google phone then forget it. Those Chinese companies don't support the software!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Coastal Jay

Coastal Jay MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2018
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm holding off buying anything for the time being. Just quietly I think smart phones are creating dumb people. Maybe we all need to ditch them completely :oops:

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #11 Yen, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    One moment please....!
    Huawei has a lot of devices. The P series is not bad. Their OS/GUI and proprietary drivers are well programmed and very effective. I'd say they do a better job than Samsung here!

Huawei gets most out of their hardware and it runs smooth.

What's not good is that you can brick it easily when fiddling with system. To unlock their bootloader you need to register the device and they claim that that will void your warranty which is BS since Huawei cannot overrule national laws.
    To root it is possible, though. (P9/P10 successfully myself for friends.)

The reasons why I did not buy one are:
    Samsung has the better hardware and screen, although Huawei caught up with their cam.

And the P20 has got that ugly notch AND still a physical home button. I could puke, LOL...'good design' is different! Samsung can.

The Huawei I could test was pretty good (P10) but I also did not like its design...looks kinda cheap.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    No, that is not the problem.... The question is, are you a zombie or not? Easily answered question----

If it has to be switched on 24s, you are...
    If you check it every few minutes, you are...
    If you use while walking or even driving, you are...
    If you sit family or friends and look at it, you are...
    If you have it with you at the dinner table, you are...
    Worst case: You are making excuses why you cannot avoid it.

You may continue the list, as long as you like.

The real question is: Do you have a phone, or does a phone have you? If YOU are in control, they can be practical, which is what the "dumb people" as you call them usually do. Nowadays you just see it better: The Dumb Ones, are the Normal Ones....

"Smart" phones are not creating dumb people. It only shows what they already were.

PS: and, YEN "..,which is BS since Huawei cannot overrule national laws."
    You are welcome to go to court .... in Shenzhen.

13. Well nowadays you can't unlock any Honor/Huawei anyway, I personnaly like a device that i can install anything i want on it :)
    Plus they are bloating their system with stuff you'll probably never use, another reason why i won't use it (health and their s**tty theming app, damn bad times with my honor 7 lol)

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #14 Yen, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018

I am actually referring to Directive 1999/44/EC and the fact that here's statutory warranty.
    What counts (for me) are experiences. I only have experiences (close friend) at Samsung S7. It was rooted and hence Knox warranty void set to 0x1. The screen had got an annoying permanent pink thin vertical line. Its age was 1.5 years that time.

Samsung did repair it without any hassle at no costs. They exchanged the screen entirely which is half of value of the phone. There is no causality of rooting and the pink line issue. They did it because they had to (IMHO).

I have just read that Huawei has canceled their unlock service.

Did not know that. Not good...
    You are absolutely right.
    I mean they should ask themselves why people NEED to root at all.
    There is no way to get rid of bloat and I cannot apply my own idea of security/privacy without root...
    (OK at least there is now a very good no root firewall, but it occupies the Android VPN layer)

It should be possible that I can uninstall any app and it should be possible that I can block what I want. I decide which app has online access and I decide which app I use.
    And if I cannot then it is no product for me. I have an own idea of own control.

Those are reasons why I personally still stick to my old Galaxy S6 Edge.
    I have customized it with huge efforts in a way I like and I can live ... don't need a new phone every year.

15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Samsung is Korean.... Huawei is Chinese, as is Chuwi, and this latter company and their distributor AliExpress cost me almost $200 for a tablet... without rooting....

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #17 Yen, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    AFAIK all Samsung and Huawei devices do have dm verity. (since Android 5.1)
    Even if you find a way to get access to system apps (apps installed to system/app and system/priv-app) the integrity check of the sys partition will fail and the device refuses to boot.

Even when mounted the system partition one time as R/W only the integrity check fails already without any further modifications have been done.

The root approach also includes a kernel ram disk patch which disables the dm verity check to circumvent this problem. (can be checked or un-checked at Magisk Manager)

Magisk actually offers the possibility to modify the system systemless-ly by applying a 'system mask' which reflects the modifications and which is mapped as 'real' system then.
    The original sys partition is left alone and dm verity check will pass.
    This is the strength and major purpose of applying Magisk.

When you list system apps at the REPLACE section of the Magisk template they vanish from the OS without affecting dm verity checks.

Apps installed to data/app can be uninstalled either way.

Actually there shouldn't be any system apps preinstalled. Then nobody would need root to remove them.
    The only thing you can do is to 'disable' them. Updates of system apps can also be uninstalled but the default version remains at system and can't be uninstalled.

What phone is it on the video? (Unfortunately I do not speak French). Would be important to know if it has dm verity as well...

17. That's why I like to have custom roms :p

P8 LITE 2017

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I feel like I'm living in 2014 with some of these suggestions. Rooting is pretty much dead unless you go buy a phone that doesn't run stock Android, which is many of them. You see the need for rooting primarily with Samsung since they are on a mission to embed their stupid, mostly duplicate apps in their devices. Custom ROMs is a nice idea until you realize that when you do your device is considered uncertified by the Play Store and some apps refuse to update. Netflix for example. If you like downloading APks from who knows where then you're ok.
    I don't consider compromising security for convenience to be a good trade. If the device doesn't have what you want right out the box then don't buy it. I would consider Nokia's current offerings to be way better than anything those Chinese manufacturers have except maybe OnePlus. They also ship their devices with stock Android and actually release security updates on time.