Good iso editor for Windows

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Stannieman, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I took a look at the software installed on my pc and noticed that I only use 5 apps you need to pay for.
    Well, actually I pirate them...
    So I'm looking for freeware alternatives now.
    With Windows 8 coming, isos can be mounted without the need for additional software.
    Winrar is replaced by 7zip.
    Windows 8 will have hyperV which is way better than the crappy virtualpc, so that replaces VMware too.
    So the only non-free software left is Office, as Visual studio ultimate is and win8 probably gets on MSDNAA.

The only thing left now is a something to edit isos.
    Here's my list:
    Ultraiso
    WinImage
    WinIso
    Isobuster
    Magiciso
    Poweriso

But it's all non-free, and daemontools lite is übercrap when it comes to something else than mounting.

Does anyone know of a good program to do this? And preferably something that doesn't install or has an option to remove the virtual drive if it even comes with mounting support. Windows 8 can mount so I don't need more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
  3. jstevenson72

jstevenson72 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    I always just use 7-zip, it's worked for me.

4. sps

sps MDL Member

Feb 6, 2008
    UltraISO ftw! I use it alot, it's the best!
    I think you will have to pay at least for this one, lol!

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    For me.... its obviously UltraISO :)

6. sticky74

sticky74 MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Try Iso Toolkit, a freeware NO INSTALL iso tool

xxx.askvg.com/iso-toolkit-freeware-to-create-convert-copy-and-extract-iso-image-files

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I'll have a look at kingoffice, although I think I'm going to stick to MSO anyway.
    I use ultraiso now and I know it's the lord of all iso tools.
    7zip does extract iso files yes, and maybe saves them I don't know. But you can't view/edit the volume label, extract/insert bootfiles etc, create floppy images, view the image propperties (like which program initially made the iso), write an iso/floppy image to disk (to make bootable usb). All are features I already used.

If there is no alternative I might consider buying ultraiso. But it looks a bit to me like it's dieing actually. There are updates (though not as frequent as it used to be a couple of years ago) and it does everything I want. But it looks like it's falling behind when it comes to the ui. Don't understand me wrong, it works awesome, but it just feels a bit outdated sometimes. I don't want to pay for software that becomes outdated in 2 years you know.

the iso toolkit isn't really what I'm looking for, the mount functionality is replaced by win8 and the rest can be done by imgburn.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Just a suggestion... there is something called Challenge of Reverse Engineering ;)

9. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Getting it to work isn't the problem, I have a working serial (google for steve olson :D)

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yah... the UI is quite outdated. I think UltraISO 10 should be published with WPF like metro UI ;)

11. lcdth

lcdth MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    #11 lcdth, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  12. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #12 Stannieman, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  13. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    There's no freeware alternative to UltraISO...

14. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Ok thanks, let's keep on pirating then :D

15. freakyboy2003

freakyboy2003 MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    UltraISO is good........ but not free, but you can get a working serial from anywhere.

16. lysy.lbn

lysy.lbn MDL Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I'll go for Ultra ISO too.. It also have many usefull features like bootable USB creation or images mounting etc..

17. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Yep I'm going to stick to ultraiso. Btw I just noticed it has the latest lame mp3 encoder (3.99) built in, so no need to have it somewhere separately = rep++; for ultraiso.

18. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Not at all. MagicISO & Nero do handle true iso perfectly as well (at least as far as hash is concerned)

sebus