Goofy PartedMagic questions/ideas...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smallhagrid, Dec 23, 2021.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    As I'd 'splained in another thread, lately I've had some problems & needed to fix 'em.

Of course I've got PartedMagic at hand at all times, and it can be quite useful, but=>
    For example, it doesn't have some things I prefer to use and does have extra stuff that I -never- use.

So...now I'm wondering=>
    - Has anyone come up with a good way to modify it to their specific needs or wants ??
    - Has anyone managed to install it onto a HDD so as to mess around with it ??
    - Any other crazy things which may be done with it as a sort of basis ??

I've made a very comfortably small Xubuntu which has my preferred tools & due to using 18.04 as a base, I easily made an .SBLIVE file of it (1.7GB) which I can either liveboot from, or install.

That brought PartedMagic to mind though, hence my curiosities !!

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    @smallhagrid - A word of advice: When you install disk partitioning software as part of an operating system, you're going to be very limited as to what you're allowed to do with it. You'll be able extend or shrink the existing disk partitions, but that's about it. Why? Because they're mounted and in use by the OS. You won't be permitted to reformat or delete them. That's only allowed on unmounted or newly created disk partitions. For these reasons, I prefer to use portable disk partitioning software, it's much easier to work from outside the OS rather than from a running system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Hello Jim_P & John Sutherland - and thanks.
    Yes - I was hoping to actually install it in some manner that will allow modifications, and...

Since My Xubuntu is installed & bootable all by its lonesome at SDA3 vs. the rest of that drive being Ubuntu Mate and unmounted as such, I can make any needed changes partition and/or file-wise.

Thanks Again & Happy Holidays !!