Goofy win 7 problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Aviator747, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Aviator747

Aviator747 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2009
    Back awhile ago I upgraded my Nvidia drivers for my 280 GTX card. When I installed them, I lost my Nvidia control panel. I tried several times to install them and newer ones since. I still cannot get the Nvidia control panel to install or physx drivers to install either. The the other day I went to install Kaspersky and it keeps erroring out too. I keep getting a installer folder error. Come to think of it the Acrobat reader update always fails too.

I get pretty much the same error if I try to manually install the Nvidia control panel or the physx drivers.

Anyone else encounter this type of problem? I am not sure, but does win 7 have a repair feature like XP did? I never really paid much attention.

Thanks for any insight.

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Yes Windows 7 has a repair feature.

3. Aviator747

Aviator747 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2009
    Yeh, I assumed it did. :D I also should of mentioned I am running win 7 64 bit ultimate.

4. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    I run Win 7 x64 as well and have no issues with Nvidia installing.

5. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    did you have any anti virus program running when you installed your graphic driver,maybe try installing in safe mode.

6. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    I think he has some screwed up system files since he is getting more errors aside from nvidia.

7. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    @Regin Of Freedom

Try this nd u too will screw up ur Nvidia Control Panel

1.open device manager
    2.there under dispkay adaptors select ur Nvidia Graphic Card
    3.Right click on it nd select "update driver software" nd select update automatically(using windows update)

nd dats da end of ur Nvidia Control Panel

Hey people this is a bug in win 7 nd i too am experiencing it.Every time i update my graphic card frm device manager.........the nvidia control panel disappears.btw i use win 7 64 bit

8. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Only used the WU driver once for the video card. Since then i just use the Nvidia released drivers, and i've never have had a glitched out Control Panel.

Now i will say i screwed up the control panel once, but that was because i installed Nvidia System Tools and used the older setup - the 6.02. But that was easily fixable.

9. FCM168

FCM168 MDL Junior Member

Mar 27, 2008
    @santoshcoolhere: if you want to update your nVidia video drivers do it straight form nVidia website. Never, and I mean never do it via Windows
    update and that goes for any drivers.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the nVidia Control Panel when you update via Windows update, but since I never do my driver updates via Windows update I might be wrong.

Regards

10. d3l1

d3l1 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I also run win7 x64 ultimate and the forceware 190.38 is running fine with my gtx280. no problems so far. I tried to upgrade to the new 191.07 and my LCD-TV stopped working (unsupported video format error like in 18x forceware because of edid stuff nvidia is f**king up all the time).
    have a try with the 190.38 after you uninstalled the current one and maybe did a cleaning (boot in safe-mode and run drivercleaner).

11. Zaphire

Zaphire MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2009
    Surely there must be some sort of way to install a recent nVidia Control Panel on it own if it goes missing!

12. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Seriously, i never trust nvidia drivers from microsoft..
    It's always safe to install from the nvidia site itself..

Once, i installed via windows update and it screwed up all..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Aviator747

Aviator747 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2009
    Nope, no antivirus running here. I tried updating through Windows update once. But, this was after my issue started. Seems something got botched up along the way. Otherwise I am running flawlessly. I am enjoying win 7.

14. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    First time i used the 191.07 Driver set i got BSOD 3 times in a row trying to run the dumb windows experience index test. But i had to uninstall anything Nvidia related then added the 191.07 + System Tools 6.05 then everything was fine. But i still can't get the 1000MB Full Duplex to show.