Google Default Search Scope

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by compstuff, Sep 10, 2014.

  1. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    I have always been able to change my default search engine from Bing to Google with a simple change using WTK.... this has worked for years and at least a 1000 installs. Now all of a sudden in my latest updated images with IE11 that I sysprep I can't get it to stay with Google, Bing either takes over or the darn settings or they are corrupt and then Bing takes over.

    I have tried just about every registry trick/hack I could think of and read about but no happiness :mad: does anyone successfully manage this in a sysprepped image?
     
  2. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    I have tried so many tricks, reg hacks, xml attempts etc that I have almost lost track lol... I am starting fresh today and will report back but I guess this isn't as easy at it seems.
     
  3. sunilk

    sunilk MDL Member

    May 15, 2014
    111
    16
    10
    Good luck bro :cool:
     
  4. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    OK so here is my 1st feedback and this will also explain part of my newest integration process:
    (WAY TOO MANY people to thank for providing the tools and teaching me the skills for this but THANK YOU ALL, you know who you are :worthy: )

    1st I start with a Win7x64 Enterprise ISO that is untouched, then I run the latest KUC against it offline and update everything and install IE11
    2nd I install this to a VBox VHD and finish all the KUC updates online until nothing is left
    3rd I check Windows Update and the latest hotfix/superseded lists from Abbodi and I update the online install (also remove superseded) using scripts until WU is clean and I satisfied Abbodi's list
    4th I run a simple sysprep generalize shutdown and create a new WIM from the VHD

    THIS IS WHAT I CONSIDER MY BASE IMAGE TO START MY TESTING
     
  5. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    #5 compstuff, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  6. abbodi1406

    abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

    Feb 19, 2011
    7,716
    25,018
    240
    #6 abbodi1406, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    I had user that before but never heard of that additional DoNotAskAgain, I will try it but can you tell me when you actually add the entry to the reg? Do you do it at some point in your image? Where I seem to be getting killed is with my final sysprep which does a "copyprofile" and after that I have never been able to get this to work correctly.

     
  8. abbodi1406

    abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

    Feb 19, 2011
    7,716
    25,018
    240
    #8 abbodi1406, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  9. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    I did numerous attempts with the XML but the darn thing would ADD the google search but never made it the default. Thats why I decided to start fresh with new images so I can really determine what works and if I made or injected any errors

     
  10. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    #10 compstuff, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  11. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    #11 compstuff, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    (OP)
    OK so here is where it starts to go downhill and has me going in circles!!!

    I was going to test the DoNotAskAgain entry so I deleted the profiles of the 4 users I had created (left the accounts) I added the DoNotAskAgain to the reg entries above and started the exact same process and got these errors:

    corrupt.JPG unknown.JPG

    So the obvious next step is to revert back the reg entries without the DoNotAskAgain entry... and now everytime I try the reg changes I get the errors. ARRRRRRR so I decided to delete the profiles and the users I created and reboot, then create a new user and try again with my ORIGINAL reg entries... and OF COURSE now I cant get rid of the damn errors anytime I try to change to google. So I am right back where I was yesterday :mad: Honestly I rarely complain about MS but why the heck did they have to make this SOOOOO difficult!!!
     
  12. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    I can't get back to where I was earlier today with this image... No matter what I do I get those messages and if I don't accept them BING keeps changing everything back... what a joke... I am at a standstill and can't think anymore so I will call it a night... ready to give up :weeping:
     
  13. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    Well no I didn't give up I am trying a few more methods today and will report back :p
     
  14. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10
    After my last attempts which all failed I admitted defeat and gave up in pure frustration :wallbash: Well I have just finished some new updated integration's and I am going to attempt this again with a fresh look at things.

     
  15. compstuff

    compstuff MDL Senior Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    437
    311
    10