Google/GMail - this device isn't recognised!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by x86, Jul 22, 2018.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    I have been using GMail for over a decade now. Once I got used to it, I really thought it's better than Hotmail/Live, Yahoo and other mainstream providers. Over the last year, I ve started to get irritated by Google's new security 'improvement' feature which supposedly lessens chances of having accounts being hacked. I just think it's totally useless and actually hurts legit users (account owners) by adding extra burden whilst sign-in.

Obviously, people are 'mobile'. They could sign from different devices from different locations. I usually use 2 devices to sign in (my laptop and my mobile). The reason I only use those two devices is because they are *clean*, trusted and because I m paranoid about Internet security. So, whenever I travel to another place and try to login from there, I get shut off from Google which thinks there's a security attempt on my account. My password is extremely complex and I had setup a security question too, which up until recently Google allowed me to use in order to re-gain access to my account. But not anymore. Now Google wants to get their hands on my phone number. Which I don't want to share with them. I shouldn't be forced to anyway!

Recently, whilst on a business trip, my usual 'device not recognized' crap, only this time clicking 'trying another way to sign-in' only gave me the phone option. I was really annoyed about this - apparently they have decided to rid of the security question altogether. It's obvious there are desperate for our phone numbers. I totally hate syncing, getting-to-know-me stuff over the web. An email account should just be an email account. Shouldn't demand for private info. I even contacted support about it, gave them a sh*tload of intelligence about my account (that only the account owner could possibly know...), but their response was that they couldn't identify me. Luckily 2 days later, I remembered my password, so I was able to sign in.

Recently, my ISP went through some major changed to our regional network (which implied IP address changing...), so there goes 'device not recognized' again. Knowing that I don't have a way out, I provided a phone number (which I only use for when I have to share a number with an untrusted contact/company), got my verification code and signed in. Google won and probably feels satisfied now that they managed to get a phone number from me. I just think monopoly is the culprit here, as Google wasn't like that at the beginning. It's basically becoming a new M$ (which is also known for their utter love of gaining personal information of users).

I just read that Google's clever security feature can't be disabled!!! So that they now have an excuse on demanding our phone number (and maybe more in the future e.g. "this phone number is not recognized, we want a new one.."). That sort of thing. What a joke.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Just get an old working mobile phone, stick a new sim in it, give that new number for email services that DEMAND a phone number, turn it on only when they "need" to send you a code. On one hand security makes sense, on the other its a total pain in the ass.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    And what's your message, what's your question, or what kind of help would you like to get from here - in this forum?
    We can help You only if You have some kind problem, what is related to this forum themes.
    Anybody can't help You with problems related to Google. Using Google is not mandatory.

4. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    That's the whole point - there was no case of added security here - I could have used any phone - which doesn't verify it was really me. I just entered a phone number for them to use (but not for added security in regard to my account...) e.g. an attacker (provided they have a phone number in the country I reside), could have just entered theirs, in order to get 'verified'. Amazing, isn't it?

Merely an observation - not a question. Just sharing my frustration with someone (and this is Chit-Chat sub-forum...anything should go here, right?)

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #5 kaljukass, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    The point is that all that you write is not true. If softly to say.
    No one is asking for your phone number or who you are.
    Using a phone number is just one way to get a verification code and it's been so at least 10 years. You can use a lot of methods. Including Microsoft uses the same method since the launch of Windows 8, that is, from the summer of 2012. But nowhere is this mandatory. Nor does nobody ask for your personal information when opening an email account or opening a Microsoft account. You are anonymous in this sense everywhere. Moreover, nobody reads your messages or listens to your calls, but general information moving is monitored. Frequency and density of information are important, as well as from where and what places it moves. Not content.
    It began to be used already during World War II, when it was necessary to follow the information sent by Hitler. Nobody read it because it was already then encrypted and then was used the Enigma code if you know it, of course.
    If you have so many fears that everyone will be watching and bullying you, do not use these services or if you use, encrypt your texts, calls and everything else.
    No one will ever ask your personal phone. It isn't mandatory, but is only one option.
    You could also use some other method to get the confirming information, such as another email. And I assume that you know that there are also completely anonymous internet-based email services where you can use even the so-called alias accounts that are generated and have nothing to do with your personality and even with Your location.
    You can also use a completely anonymous telephone card, etc. (For example, I use anonymous phone card and it is only for confirmation codes, it cost for me €4 in year. And also for this money I can make caalls or send SMS or use what ever other services, but it is min what should to pay to hold the card alive.)

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Just give Google your number, they only use it for two factor authentication (2FA). In order to know you are who you say you are for security, they send a pin number text to your cell number. You don't have to do that but it does make one's life easier if you do. AFAIK, google is not using your number for adverts