Got an ASUS Prime Z370-A MoBo coming ...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by solo_voyager, Jun 24, 2018.

1. solo_voyager

solo_voyager MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    ... Because of Win7's nearing end of support, I want to move up to Win10 on it.
    I'm presently looking at Win10 Enterprise LTSB as the OS I'll put on it.

It's been a long time since the last time I did it.
    But, I'm also going to look at multi booting with a Linux flavor to take a closer look at it's suitability for my needs.

Questions:

Best way to deal with Win10 Enterprise LTSB activation?
    Will I need to, or should I do a UEFI BIOS mod for the new ASUS board as I did for the old ASUS board with Win7 Ultimate?

Any caveats for the multi boot of these OS's?

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    No uefi/bios mod required for win 10.You can use any kms tool for activation but recommended one is kms_vl_all by @abbodi1406 as it is regularly maintained by him.LTSB2018 is expected to launch in oct this year so better wait for that.

3. solo_voyager

solo_voyager MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Thanks whitestar,
    If I go ahead and install Ent-LTSB 2016 in the interim, what will happen when 2018 comes out in Oct?
    Will there be some auto action taken by Win10 Ent-LTSB to do an upgrade or something else?
    Maybe install Win7Ult and do the BIOS mod until October to foil anything auto by Win10?

4. cbsvitzer

cbsvitzer MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    There will be no auto upgrade of LTSB. You will stay on LTSB 2016

5. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    LTSB editions are standalone & cannot be upgraded automatically.You need to redownload newer LTSB iso & then do a manual install/upgrade(if it is allowed).No bios mod is necessary when using daz loader(available here) with only restriction being it can only be used with mbr partition hdd.This is also unnecessary because main purpose of installing an activated win 7 is to get a free genuine upgrade to win 10 pro which is useless for you as it only gives pro edition license.For VL editions like LTSB,enterprise etc you need to use a kms activator anyway so no point in modding uefi.Install LTSB2016 & use kms activator,use it for few weeks & if you like it then keep it till LTSB2018 is released.If you don't happen to like ltsb2016 then chances are you may not like ltsb2018 either.