got the so called "get genuine kit" should I reinstall W7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Ulver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Ulver

Ulver MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    OK, without going through details, I've got the "get genuine kit" which consists of an activation key (delivered by email, after I paid "them" :eek:) and a the installation dvds that I got by mail later on.

So, I was using windows 7 rtm (7600), should I reinstall everything using the new original DVD or should I just leave it as is?

I am kind of leaning towards a reinstall cause my windows is a little bit "buggy" due to the great load of trash I have installed on past months but I am a little suspicious of this "get genuine kit"... Is this thing gonna give me any problems? Like, no sp1 in the future or some other caveat that you wizards might know about?

2. Ulver

Ulver MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    #2 Ulver, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    (OP)
    btw, I had a loader validate my last (present) install so on the system page it says the pc was manufactured by ASUS (but i made it myself).
    I flashed my BIOS once after I used that loader but it still shows ASUS on win7.
    Is that going to change after I reinstall?
    I kind of want it to change but I don't know s**t about slics and all that so, I would be glad if someone could clarify that for me please.

3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Never heard of a get genuine kit, but if it is something you bought from MS after being flagged by WAT and you're windows is getting buggy do to too much crap then by all means, do a fresh install if that is what you want. If you do a clean install and format the drive then that ASUS label and everything will be gone.

I am assuming that you are using a loader and not a bios mod, once you format and install with the key you bought you will be in good shape. The key and DVD you got, is it an upgrade or full version?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ulver

Ulver MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    Yep, WAT got my ass. I think it was the 7loader.
    Its a full version.
    Thanks man!

5. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Sounds like you want to dump and flush, by all means do so. A clean install is always best. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of deal did they offer on what version of windows. I read something about them offering pro for about $150 for those who got taken by vendors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I would do a clean install also dude. Get rid of the loaders. BTW if you by chance flashed your motherboard with a modded bios, flash it back with a untouched bios before activating this paid copy just to prevent potenial complications. Once you reinstall the OS activate it and use PayMyRent's Token Restore to backup your activation so if you need to reinstall you can just use the same program to restore the activation without using another activation count. BTW what type of key did you get? Is it Retail or OEM?

7. Ulver

Ulver MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    Its was around $200 for the ultimate (which I had as rtm version). I think its a retail key, but I am not sure (the OEM keys have OEM on the beginning right? I heard that somewhere :eek: hehe).
    Anyway, it was a good enough deal at the time so I got lazy and went for it. Will do the reinstall. Thanks for the advice, guys!

8. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Your welcome dude. I figured it was Retail but I was not sure. If it was OEM it would tell you that it is. BTW remember to use the Token Restore program by PayMyRent to backup your activation so you do not have to take another activation count off your key. You can only use that key so many times before it becomes no good but with the program it does not matter as long as the backup and restore operations are for the same computer and not another computer.