GPU Upgrades

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by freemyggle, Apr 15, 2011.

1. freemyggle

freemyggle MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2011
  2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. freemyggle

freemyggle MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I think I paid roughly $650 for this model (maybe $550), but I just did a lot of work including a mobo swap on a friend's DV2000 and I found the mobo for just under $40 @ ztronics which is substantially less in price. I accept that a mobo with a decent GPU may be more than $40, but I expect it would be a lot less than a whole new PC and in my life, times are always tough. I will continue my never ending search for this answer. Thanks again for taking the time to entertain my question.

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Oh you're welcome. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. wzland

wzland MDL Novice

May 17, 2011
    It's not a good idea to upgrade GPU on laptop.

6. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    It's easy enough to change, it's just a matter of going to your laptop manufacturers website and checking what gpu's are used in the range that your case is, say Toshiba satellite Pro's a100/a110 then they had a long run of production so you can easily get gpu's from Intel onboard to external ati's/Nvide's, thing is though there are two types for each as you can get a decent inbuilt graphics that you just swap boards others are plugged in to the board and they are quite expensive and are sold separately so you would need to buy a mb and gpu, ebays good for stuff like this as you can buy laptops that have broken/faulty screens real cheap and just use the mb/gpu.