Graphic Card Help plz

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by PSYB0RG, Apr 17, 2010.

1. PSYB0RG

PSYB0RG MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Here are my system specs for the record:

Dell Inspiron 530
    q6600 @ 2.4ghz overclocked to 3ghz
    4gb of 800mhz ram
    600 psu with 2 pci 6 pin connectors
    Liquid cooling
    2 HD's. 250gb & 1.5 tb @ 7200pm
    42 inch plasma tv
    GIGABYTE Radeon HD 4890 graphic card. 256bit memory interface, 1gb ddr5, 850MHz core clock, 800 Stream Processing Units, 975MHz (3.9Gbps) memory clock

Now that is out the way. Here is my problem. I've been dying to test this gfx card out. I downloaded a demo of Crysis. on the 1st run, everything was fine. I think my res was on 1024x768. I then tried to bump it up slightly. When I did, the movement of my mouse was off quite a bit. I had to actually scroll lower than whatever tab i wanted to click on. Eventually my pc froze. So I rebooted and tried to load crysis again. this time, my memory skyrocketed from 700mb to 3.3gb. BTW, page file was off. Crysis said it couldnt run because low memory. Then I turned on paging file and set it at min 4gb, max 8gb. It still says same thing, low memory. I have no idea what the problem can be.

I have uninstalled the entire ATI suite with your uninstaller, deleted registry strings, uninstall the graphics card drivers, reinstalled everything to no avail.

Also, when I try to run it, not only do my mem sky rockets to the the roof, but the game itself does not cover my whole screen, only 3/4 of it, as if its resolution is different. Plus I get this msg also:

Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
    Application Name:Crysis.exe
    Application Version:1.0.0.1
    Application Timestamp:4718fd8a
    Fault Module Name:MSVCR80.dll
    Fault Module Version:8.0.50727.4927
    Fault Module Timestamp:4a2752ff
    Exception Code:c0000005
    Exception Offset:0001568f
    OS Version:6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID:1033
    Additional Information 1:a580
    Additional Information 2:a580fb66e5132619b142ac800d3ffa2b
    Additional Information 3:0526
    Additional Information 4:0526375c693ba30a6decf7da1e7c9ca0

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    hmmm interesting first thing I would suggest would be bumping the resolution for Windows 7 up not for crysis thou...
    Bump it to a round number namely 720p or 1080p or see your TV manual for what are the recommended resolutions..
    This is what your looking for because some resolutions won't work with your TV...
    Then play with the resolution on crysis...
    Then check to see if there are any patches that should sum up what needs to happen...
    Same goes for your graphics card driver check for a newer version...

3. PSYB0RG

Sep 11, 2009
    Thnx buddy, I have the latest ati suite running. Its 10.3 as of 3.??.2010. I've updated the Direct 10. I dont have a user manual for my tv tho, nor can I acquire one. But it handles 720p really well and 1080i also. I've tried bumping up from 1024x768 to 1280x960 and nothing happens as far as the game goes. It tries to start, but it stutters really bad, and then crash before it loads, which prevent me from even having the ability to tamper with the settings from inside crysis. Not only that, but I've uninstalled it and all traces of it, and re-installed it about 4 times now.

I just tried another game, less gpu intensive tho, Tom Clancy HAWX, and it ran pretty good, no hiccups, stutters, no nothing, changed the resolution in there numerous times, and everything was a green light. So, im suspecting maybe crysis needs a patch like u suggested, now i have to go find it. Think it will be kinda hard, because to my knowledge, the patches are only for the Full game, and not the demo. Wish me luck

4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I would suggest that you head over to the pirate bay (lovely site) and download the full game or go out and buy it...
    That shouldn't take that long if your internet connection is good mine unfortunately sux...

5. PSYB0RG

Sep 11, 2009
    The bay is a great place to go and "find" stuff. But, some of my most trusted friends told me that I should stay away from "ripped" games for pc, because it takes more to "break" them and its easy for the companies to catch ppl doing that. btw, internet is 30mb down & 3-4.5 mb up. It fluctuates, but averages about 4mb up tho. lol

Lovely is an Understatement for the bay, lol

6. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    There is a reason why I scan everything I get from the pirate bay I think...
    Note it depends if its a online activation game its probably been cracked if it needs constant access then your just screwed...
    I hate you EA why did I buy Command Conquer 4 why o why...

7. PSYB0RG

Sep 11, 2009
    Ok, I got it working completely fine now. I uninstalled another time, this time I made sure i get rid of my profile and user data as well. didnt see that option the first few times i uninstalled, and now its running flawless. Now my gripe is that I have to go and buy a WIRED xbox360 controller. wish I hadve known that the charge kit will not work, then my feelings wouldve not been hurt as bad, lol.

Does anyone have any idea what are good overclock settings for this card? Altho its not important, I just wanna see how much better it will look if overclocked. Im slightly greedy.

8. jakson

jakson MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2010
    #8 jakson, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2010
    That card is still ok you should be able to play any game you want.

Have you downloaded the latest drivers from the nvidia website?

Make sure you turn the graphics options in games down a bit. Keep antialiasing and anisotropic filtering turned off.

The extra graphics card ram doesnt really help games, none of them will use more than about 512mb on a normal sized monitor. And your card is massively better than a 9500.

Also make sure your computer has more than about 2gb ram. That could slow thing down if you are short of it.

9. PSYB0RG

Sep 11, 2009
    yes, the problem is correct, and yes, I did download the latest drivers. that was the first thing I did, I didnt even bother tryin to install the drivers from the cd drive.

You mean underclock my card? And what does antialiasing and anisotropic really do. I know I can google it, but im being lazy today, haha

My monitor is a 42 inch plasma, so do you think I will get more than 512mb out of it? And yes, Im running 4gb of 800mhz ram.

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    It sounds to me that the problem is with the configuration file for the the game, you pushed the graphics too far but those settings are in the cfg now. See if there is an option to start the game is safemode, or locate the config file and delete it forcing the game to create a new one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. PSYB0RG

Sep 11, 2009
    Thanks. Im sorry, I meant to say that the problem has been corrected already.

12. PSYB0RG

Sep 11, 2009
    It doesnt have a safemode i believe, but i've went and purchased the game, uninstalled the demo completely (profile & config), installed the retail copy, played fine for 3 hours, and when i went to the 3rd map I think, same thing happened. It froze, i restarted it, and it just keeps crashing.

I've google'd to try to find what specific files i need to delete (config for video so it can recreate a new one) but i havent had any hits yet. Does anyone knows which one in particular to delete?

13. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  14. PSYB0RG

Sep 11, 2009