Graphic card not working properly

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Makinenn, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Makinenn

Makinenn MDL Junior Member

Dec 7, 2010
  2. some.user.003

some.user.003 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2019
    Not Windows damaged your card, the card just died. Error 43 means 'card not properly detected' and is a death sentence.

One thing to do would be to test in another machine to verify the error ;).

Alternative (since card is already dead): Baking in the oven at ~120 to 130 °C. Remove all plastic parts and wrap the pcb into tinfoil before toasting it..

Have a GTX 780 3GB here with same symptoms, baking didn't change that unfortunately.

3. Makinenn

Dec 7, 2010
    I was afraid someone might said it was dead. :(
    I will try testing it in another machine.

4. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #4 RJARRRPCGP, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    In my experience, the reboot was likely a "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE" BSOD because of the video card not being seated properly. Saw one that popped out of the PCI-E slot by itself, cause that BSOD code, IIRC.

How to really find out if that message in Device Manager is a death sentence?
    Shut down, reseat the video card, turn back on and then check Device Manager again.

Sadly, with that gen of GeForce, it highly likely crapped the bed! I heard that the 8400s and possibly the 8600s and 8500s are like that. At least my GeForce 9500 GT when I had it, had high-quality caps.

With the 7-series, 8400, 8600 and 8500s, you have to watch out for low-quality caps!
    The worst, are the ones that say "FZ" on them, followed by "GSC" and followed by "Lelon" and followed by "KZG" (KZG is a known-to-be-problematic cap series from trusted cap manufacturer Chemicon)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Makinenn

Dec 7, 2010
    #5 Makinenn, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    (OP)
    I tried it on another PC and the result was the same: Error 43, not recognised, this time, in a Win10 fully updated.
    I tried an ATI Radeon HD 5670 in my PC, and so far it's working fine, so I reckon it's not the PCI-E slot...

@RJARRRPCGP I know nothing about caps, but I don't think that's the case.
    For what I can see, it says "Elcon EEZ 1000 6.3V", if that makes sense to you.

6. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I thought I saw people over at badcaps.net say that the name is that of the company that was responsible for the dreaded "FZ" video card caps! Elcon needs to be watched closely, at best!

I can't be confident about Elcon, unlike say, Fujitsu (with red-letter-F logo) and "FP cap", for probably the later versions of them, (I got words that Nichicon, another trusted cap manufacturer, bought Fujitsu's cap division) which should easily be seen in good health, even on motherboards that have been in service for many years!

-> I think Fujitsu/FP cap caps are what Asus uses on their socket 1366 motherboards, and obviously, it's the norm for them to still keep working well, even in 2019!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...