Graphic driver problem after format/installing windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Someone001, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Someone001

Someone001 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2015
    Because of an issue unrelated to technical problems, i had to format and reinstall windows 7.

I have done this few times in the past and had no problem.

But this time i seem to get graphic card problems, constantly.

My screen goes black and then i get this message:

i.imgur.com/8xAtR6Z.png

It happens a lot (around 2~3 times per hour if actively using the PC) and it never, EVER happened before format.

Not even once.

Searching on the internet all i see is people giving unhelpful advice: "you have too many things open", "close programs and pray doesn't happen again" which make no sense because it can happen when have nothing open.

Or to set graphic card setting to maximum performance which doesn't help either.

On the event viewer i get this error ID:

i.imgur.com/MnhuCUu.png

Since i installed the latest nvidia drivers i thought it was an issue with recent drivers and decided to go back to a previous versions, but problem persist.

2. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    Welcome to MDL;)

Have you try to add this registry key (normally not needed, but it seems you have a trouble).

Go to start>Type regedit in the search box, then browse to "HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Graphic Drivers"

In the right pane right clic on the mouse, choose QWORD (64 bits value) for Windows_x64 or DWORD(32bits) for Windows 7_x86, name it TdrDelay, press enter, double cilc on the new key and set it to 8 set to decimal.

Reboot computer.

windsman.

3. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Someone001

Someone001 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2015
    Um...I really don't want to go change the registry just after a clean installation of W7.

Considering this has never happened before, i would feel as if the problem is still there, and i just disabled the problem notification.

I already installed those, just after install W7 and they had the same issue too.

That's why i got older drivers, hoping it was a driver issue related to windows 10 compatibility or something.

5. thorin0815

Jul 16, 2015
    Are you using the win10 drivers under win7? Win 7+8 & 10 are seperated drivers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Someone001

Someone001 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2015
    The only drivers i have to install with windows 7 are the graphic card ones, everything else seems to work fine.

So i just went to Nvidia site and got the most recent drivers/suggested drivers for my Nvidia graphic card.

Searching on the web (there are literally more than 100 theories of what can cause this with, everyone comes with their own conclusions...) i heard latest Nvidia drivers made for W10 conflicted with W7 or something, and that get an older version would fix this issue.

But it didn't.

I begin to think it is more of a windows 7 issue than a Nvidia driver one.

• I tried with the newest driver: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".
    • I tried with the old driver: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".
    • I tried making changing graphic card panel settings energy to maximum performance: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".
    • I tried re-installing NET framework 4.0: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

Nothing i do fixes it and this never happened before format-reinstall W7.

So it HAS to be a windows 7 installation issue, i can't think of anything else.

Unless i, somehow, installed Nvidia drivers for W10 on W7, which is unlikely.

Or maybe it is one of those windows packages i installed.

7. thorin0815

Jul 16, 2015
    #7 thorin0815, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Hmmm, did you try to install 7 again? Or you might upgrade to 10 for testing purpose only and if you get the same errors it could be a hardware related problem. I had a gtx 780 borrowed from a friend which produced similar failures because of my dying power supply.

btw: Do you get these errors only under gpu load or even when your gpu is idle?

8. Someone001

Someone001 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2015
    #8 Someone001, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    (OP)
    I highly doubt is a hardware issue.

There would have been hints of something wrong pre-format.

But nothing. Absolutely not a single error.

I had to format for different reasons in the past (none about technical problems). This would be the...4th time i install windows 7 in years and this is the only time i had problems with a graphic card drivers.

...According to event viewer image i posted on main post the problem are the drivers not responding or something.

I remember something unusual happened:

When i installed graphic card drivers the screen resolution didn't changed and the screen didn't went black like it normally would, i had to restart PC to see the changes.

Normally when i install a graphic card driver i remember the screen goes black 2-3 times when it is installing for a few seconds, changing resolution and obviously showing it works.

I installed W7 yesterday so i can say:

It happened the first time i played a video after format.
    It happened the first time i opened a MMO after format.
    It happened the first time i installed a software (on this case, firefox).

Now it randomly happens.

While browsing the web or while playing a low-requisite game/MMO.

9. thorin0815

Jul 16, 2015
    I would try to format+install Windows 7 (maybe even with a new install medium) again to check if it's not only *this* specific install which doesn't work.

I know updating a fresh Windows 7 is a pain in the ass, but you need to encircle the source of your problems.

btw: Which NVidia card do you use?

10. Someone001

Someone001 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2015
    I got another error, it is pretty ridiculous:

i.imgur.com/BjA3Dqg.png

Its as if the drivers will crash even for open the smallest, lowest graphic quality game.

This is silly.

Im going to try to format and re-install again. Im even going to search for another untouched ISO or something.

11. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Looks like a bad power supply to me, whats the brand and model and how long have you been using it?

12. Trickz

Trickz MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2015
    I used to have the same problems some time ago. Once it was the firefox hardware acceleration option. It was making display driver errors even when firefox was not open, some kind of bug in v-sync difference between desktop and in app.
    Other time it was a problem with dwm.exe corrupted with third party themes.