Graphics card stuttering

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by phreek, Dec 21, 2011.

1. phreek

phreek MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2011
    #1 phreek, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I've recently bought and installed a new graphics card (Radeon 6950) and I'm having a problem with it. While playing games the image stutters, specifically when I scroll around (scroll the map in strategies, move the screen with the mouse in FPS games). The FPS doesn't drop, settings (low/ultra) do not affect this. Everything runs smoothly when I don't scroll the screen. Also when I start the PC, the fans (dunno which) spin rapidly for a second, making a lot of noise (this doesn't happen without the card installed). Components' temperatures are all low. PC specs are:

ASUS P8Z68-V MOBO
    Intel Core i5 2500k CPU
    G.Skill DDR3-1600 8192MB RipjawsX (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) RAM (two 4gb modules)
    Asus Direct CUII Radeon 6950 GPU
    WD SATA6 7200 RPM 32mb cache (WD7500AALX) HDD
    XFX XXX 650w PSU
    Fresh Windows 7 64-bit installation

Any help is much appreciated!

2. phreek

phreek MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2011
    All the latest drivers, of course :)

3. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    Change your card. It should be under warranty.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    There is nothing unusual about fans spinning up at start up, mine do exactly the same. If you are not getting any kind of atrefacts or pixelation at any other times i would be inclined to think that its either an issue with game graphics settings or even global graphic settings. Perhaps even a bug in the game you are playing. Check anti aliasing and the like and see how you get on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    watch the temp on your card if it gets to hot then run the fan a little faster, mine was running at 28% i turned it up to 50 %. also keep ypur directx and vidio drivers up to date. i have an HIS radeon HD 6950 and had problems with the game rage now its alot better"not perfect" so far no crashes i get a wobble once in a while SKYRIM runs great.:)

6. stevemk14ebr

stevemk14ebr MDL Senior Member

Jun 23, 2010
    get fraps and tell us what the average fps you're getting in the game of ur problem

7. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I looked at this card at one point - didn't get it (pricey, BIG) but remembered seeing these comments:

"It is very important to know that the switch on this card is a dual lane DVI switch which assigns some bandwidth from one of the HDMIs to DVI so you can run beyond 1920 x 1200 on that port (which leaves hdmi1 DISABLED)"

"The switch on the card isn't for a backup BIOS, it's to enable dual-link DVI on one of the DVI ports. The Cayman GPU has six TMDS links which on this card are divided between either two single-link DVI and four DisplayPort or one dual-link DVI, one single-link DVI, and three DisplayPort."

So perhaps the problem is one of matching switch settings / hdmi or dvi cables / ports?

8. phreek

phreek MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2011
    Will do everything you suggested tomorrow and write back, thanks!

9. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    ATi

ATi cards tend to have this {an a lot of other} problems. It is caused by the drivers of your card and ATi normally brings out regular updates. Download and run GPU-Z and let it log the GPU usage to a file while you are in a game where this is happening. I have seen that many ATi cards do not run at their capable speed because the drivers are not properly telling the GPU to get out of idle mode and run at full speed. If you dont see 100% GPU usage during gameplay {in the scenes where it is jittery}, then this is your problem => the GPU are idling when it should be working. Unfortunately there isn't a fix for this. AMD's stuff are cheaper, but unfortunately it is of lower quality too. Check the GPU speed with GPU-Z during gameplay and let it log the info to a file. Afterwards, that information can help a lot {let us know}.

10. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    or you could hook up a second monitor and put all of your monitoring tools there and check what ur system is doing, as Carel above me suggested, but with the difference that you can monitor realtime instead of having to plough trough log after log to get the data, although the logs will be of use.
    so yadayadayada, get a second monitor, hook it up and put all of ur monitoring progs there, start the game and see what's going on in realtime(after modifying some interval settings)
    and be sure to save the log files too, they will come in handy in the future.