Graphics OR Bios Problem in HP Pavilion dv2601tx

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by indyan, Dec 25, 2008.

1. indyan

indyan MDL Member

Nov 14, 2008
    #1 indyan, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #2 HMonk, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. indyan

indyan MDL Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Thanks monk,
    I updated my BIOS but useless :(
    updated graphics driver but useless :(

Now tell me where i can find the dump file of my bsod and how to know what exactly error is in my lappy
    please help...

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Error Logs

Don't know what OS you are using. If windows, Event Viewer - via Administrative Tools in Control Panel - (or logs) may be of help.

I assume you have integrated graphics. Regardless, over the years, especially with NVIDIA drivers (I now use Radeon) I have had trouble after video driver updates.

One suggestion would be to delete (not roll back) the video driver and reboot and let the OS (assuming Windows) find new hardware etc. etc. and load the generic driver and see if the prob persists.

Without having additional info, especially modifications you or installed progs may have made to the OS, I cannot zero in on specifics. That said, I - personally - have never had BIOS issues that did not relate to other than asking the BIOS to do what it could not, i.e., it was outdated. Given the scant data you have provided, your issue does not sound like an outdated BIOS is the issue - your problem seems to have started rather spontaneously (or after software/driver tweaking).

Obviously, if you reformatted/reinstalled your OS/progs but did so bringing yourself back to the point where you were when the issue occurred, you would have reinstalled the issue as well, i.e., the issue is not simply a matter of a corrupt OS.

One test would be to format and reinstall the OEM OS - and nothing more - and see if the issue occurs. Of course, I am not aware of what you have done to the BIOS which may be irreversible depending on your BIOS version/type (EEPROM, boot block, Dual BIOS, et al.) In any event, when confronted by issues, I ALWAYS place the BIOS at the terminal locus on my list of probabilities.

Finally, yours could be a hardware issue. Years ago, I had a CRT monitor that had a bad connector. Depending on how I yanked on the cable, I could create a variety of very colorful images. One presumptive test would be to boot and let the machine sit quietly. Image OK? Then work the screen, torque the box, a slight kick: does the image change?

Bottom line for me: driver/software conflicts, then hardware, lastly BIOS but first asking myself the question, what could I have done that could have corrupted/modified the BIOS in the first place to cause the problem.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. indyan

indyan MDL Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Thanks again hmonk,
    Mate i formated and reinstalled vista ultimate 32.
    but it didnt fix my graphics issue...
    as u said first i uninstalled graphics driver then i reinstalled new driver which was on hp site.
    but today i am downloading nvidia geforce 8m series notebooks driver from nvidia site itself which is released 1 week back only... let me try this new driver...
    well another problem i can see is that i am not able to install driver for my 965 intel family chipset... saying "ur system doesnt meet minimum requirment to run this software"...
    and also in device manager i am not able to find any chipset driver installed but no yellow mark dere :(...
    any idea how to update all drivers according to my hardware so that i dont need to check one by one driver for its new release...
    please help

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
  7. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Some of the nVidia GPU's are faulty and are over heating.

Dell did a BIOS update for their laptops to 'fix' the problem, but all it really did was switched the fans on most of the time to help cool the laptop down.

It sounds to me like you have the same problem.
    Check the HP forums to see if their laptops have been having the same problems.

Good Luck :)

8. indyan

indyan MDL Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Ya it seems to be graphics driver issue.
    But another problem come up after updating my BIOS to 4.2D, That i am not able to see any ADVANCE option in BIOS.
    I want to change my display sharing memory but i am not able to find ADVANCE option in BIOS menu :(
    Can anyone give me guide for 4.2D BIOS (HP)
    Thanks

9. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    4.2d bios

Interesting: this update "fixes" an unresponsive video controller issue!!!

Anyway, don't know if its an issue but Vista Ultimate IS NOT listed specifically as a compatible product; seems like all other Vista eds. are listed so my GUESS would be that the 4.2D is OK (or should be since the "Description" states for Vista OS environments). :confused:

Beyond this, I am afraid I cannot offer intelligible clues.

Monk

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Some OEM's only list OS's as "compatible" if they ship the OS on that product or model.
    But in the end Vista is Vista so the drivers will work on all versions.