Graphics problem (Presario SR2000)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by QuantumBug, Jan 27, 2013.

1. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    #1 QuantumBug, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    [SOLVED] Graphics problem (Presario SR2000)

A friend of mine bought me his PC today as he had thick red blotches down his screen, and could only boot into safe mode as an nVidia driver was causing a BSOD. So it has 100% been ruled out as the PCI-e graphics card as the same issue occurs in different machines with the suspected faulty graphics.

So we went to PC world and bought a replacement graphics card, an Asus HD 5450 Slient low profile card... But it doesn't work in the machine either. No video at all... Things I've tried...

• The new card is 100% tested working in my PC
    • The old card is faulty in my PC
    • My friends PC is 100% working as it boots with the old card then crashes on a BSOD
    • PSU was 268Watt and has been replaced with a fully working 400Watt PSU

Now I'm thinking this new graphics card is incompatible with the motherboard of my friends PC, or BIOS. But I've read it is compatible. The full PC model is Compaq Presario SR2129UK, the old graphics card pulled was an Asus GeForce 7500LE and these cards do NOT require external power.

I'm stuck in a pickle here, any help is appreciated :)

Regards, The Dev.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try nvidia card.. some bios had issues with ati rom

3. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks Latin, but... Problem solved. Apparently this M/B is not PCI-E v2.1 compatible, so I guess I'll just return the GPU and replace it for an appropriate one.

Case closed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    funny i was gonna suggest checking that next