Graphics Resolution not working after a Brilliant Win 7 U install

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by spoof2012, Jul 24, 2012.

1. spoof2012

spoof2012 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2012
    Ok, guys, last week i joined this forum, installed win 7 on my netbook and wow/1, marvellous, than i had a desktop chucked by my kids downstairs in harry potters place (you know he always lived in the cupboard downstairs), considering it a waste of space (just like me) as everyone has got their fancy laptops. i respect old fellas and so i after this successful upgrade of win 7 on a tiny netbook which made it faster than ever, i thought why not try the same on this desktop, spec f which are Dim 3000 with upgraded RAM 1.3, HDD 80GB, intel P-IV 2.6 GHz with integrated intel graphics card. the specs were sufficient according to checklist for win 7 and so i installed the win 7. to my surprise the OS flashed into the HDD and very quickly the computer was back to normal with Win 7 Ultimate on it. and as i thought and expected, it did go faster than b4. anyway the ISSUE IS IT IS ON A SIMPLE 640 X 640 16Bit DISPLAY. when i tried to change the res to 1280 x 840 or sim, it did it but the display was so wiered that i could hardly see anything and so had to change it back to 640x640. but in this display, everything is the size of 36 font. when i run the update graphics driver, it is working ok and no update was required obviously thats a conflict b/w O/S and graphics card but i can't figure out how to resolve it. do i need to plug in a new card or just update some driver. at the moment i am running Intel Driver update utility on it (from intl website) but it seems taking foever (4 hours so far) and doesn't look like getting anywhere.

any help will be receiving lots of 'thanks'
    thanks
    :aglerks::waycon1::eek:

2. ʙᴌὕ ƌŕâʛȯᵰ

Jul 6, 2012
    Hello spoof2012, it might be possible to fix your display issues by downloading the display drivers from the computers manufacturers website. Afterwards try to install the driver with compatibility for winXP, you can do this by right clicking it and selecting Troubleshoot Compatibility, or right click > properties > compatibility tab. If this doesn't work, I would recommend getting a pretty cheap video card, most likely agp. I am almost certain it wont have PCI express. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    With the exception of my wife's Qosmio, all our computers are old. My main is a dual core but the others have single core AMD XP3200+ CPUs. I say that to make this point ... the old guys run Windows 7 x86 very well with 2GB RAM. I did have to buy a better video card for the dual core to run the Windows Experience Index calculation.

Check and see if your computer motherboard has an open slot for a video card. If it does, most do, you can get a competent video card for as little as $20. It won't be sufficient for high end gaming, but if your main interest is surfing, email, student/home business work and simple video playing, a low end card will likely serve you well.

If you decide to do this, get the latest drive for the card either from the card maker's website or via Windows update. Usually the video drivers supplied with the card will work, but they generally lag when it comes to new drivers. in fact, you might first want to try setting Windows Update to get drivers and see it that solves the problem. You do that by allowing WU to suggest things other than just Microsoft products.

4. spoof2012

spoof2012 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2012
    sorry guys but in terms of graphics card, my knowledge is null, i don't even know if my system never had a graphics card and it was only running on vga built in adaptor. and now i don't know which card i shold buy. there is one on ebay (item#
    290749587670) its specs are
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]16MB AGP NVidia Elsa TNT2 Vanta 16G VGA Graphics Video Card. don't know if its any good for my pc. actually question is how do i know which graphics card is compatible for my system.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]reg going to dell to download graphics driver, its not working coz theoretically dell still has this system as XP installed and so the driver is of xp as well which is unable to load res of 1240 x 840 or similar.
    hope i am making some sense and excuse me for lack of my knowledge about graphics
    [/FONT]

5. spoof2012

spoof2012 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2012
    SOLVED.
    found this superb solution

• go to the download page of Windows XP driver for 82865G display card on intel website
    • Download driver and extract the downloaded driver.
    • Right click on the setup.exe file and select properties to open the properties window as displayed below.

• Go to the ‘Compatibility’ tab and select ‘Windows XP (Service Pack 3)’ in drop down and select ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for:’ check box as shown above and click on the Ok button of the dialog.
    • Right click on setup.exe file and select ‘Run as administrator’ to install the driver.
    • It will start installation ,I run into some errors while instillation but somehowe it insllaled the drivers., so ignore any errors occurred while installation.
    • Restart the machine. Now you wil have proper display. You can also check that now more resolution options are available in Screen Resolution window. Good luck
    • IF THIS HELPS SOMEONE, DO I NOT DESERVE 40 thanks!!!

6. spoof2012

spoof2012 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2012
    which graphics card???

however still need advise on which graphics card can i install to my system?

7. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    What's your motherboard model? :)

8. Chinam4n

Chinam4n MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2012
    do you have agp or pci or pci express slot?