Grateful for help in reading BB.ROM module

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by toosour, Dec 16, 2009.

1. toosour

toosour MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2009
    Sorry folks I am a total greenhorn!

My Sony notebook is bricked and the suggested key combinations to kick the Boot Block to read the Crisis Recovery floppy do not work for Sony notebooks. ( Fn +b WIn +b etc)

I have a copy of the BIOS update and on opening it in BIOS Edit I see a module BB.ROM under Boot Block.

Is it possible to get the key combinations required to kick the Crisis Recovery from this?

I am totally out of my depth in all these matters but desparation is making me go into uncharted areas :)

Will be grateful for any guidance.

Thanks

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The key combination to kick in the recovery isn't stored somewhere at the bios. It's hardware specific. I have to say that the Sony recovery at Phoenix bioses never worked so far, at least I don't know a member who has managed it.
    I would write a PM to Sony support. They should know about the right key combination.
    It's also very dependant on what phlash version you try for recovery.
    Some reported ONLY one special version works, all the others not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. toosour

toosour MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Yen, eagerly awaiting more info

Thanks Yen,

Tried speaking to Sony support in India, Sinagpore and US but they were most unhelpful. Searched high and low on all their support sites for this information.

Strange that such useful and 'brick' saving information is guarded like a State secret. :) :(

Eagerly awaiting more info on the key combination for Sony and on the spefici Phoenix BIOS where the recovery works

Thanks again