Grey Login Screen Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ffcloud2000, Dec 14, 2012.

1. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    So it seems the other day i received a critical update and i went and installed it.. I'm not sure what update it was but it was something that just hit the servers the last couple days here and it caused my computer's login screen to just go Grey after i rebooted.. The lock screen still worked and it would slide up and down but it wouldn't display anything underneath to allow me any way of logging into my pc..

I fixed it by using system restore from my install disc since i didn't have safemode enabled yet but i just wanted to give anyone that may get a similar issue a heads up incase S#!T happens

2. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    Me too. I tried to update my windows 8 3 times, everytime it ended up with just black logon screen, and I have to refresh windows 8.
    I think there is a problem with that update?

3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Have you installed your window from original media or customized one like AIO Or used some third party tools to create AIO or media?...
    I faced similar problem with many updated of MS, mainly with KB2756872 & KB2769165 (both 162MB).... Later i found that problem is only with systems those installed using AIO & USB Drive. Strange but its true...
    Then i burned original ISO & OS installed... Now both are updated without problem...

First reason struck for problem was problem with AIO procedure and problem with USB tool... Then i created media again very carefully & used MS win 7 USB download tool. But again faced the same problem.. Even SFC /Scannow showed no problem with system files...

This is what i experienced & could solve your problem too... But not true for every one...

4. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    I used the RTM iso from WZT (from when it leaked months before). And I installed in VMWare.
    Maybe I'll try the MSDN iso.

5. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    You can try... what i explained above is experienced by me & it could solve your problem too but no Warranty. :p

6. PrincessLuna

PrincessLuna MDL Junior Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Had the same issue, except that my screen was black and the backlight would flicker on and off. Safe mode would not boot so did a system restore from Windows installation media. Then re installed updates and everything worked.

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #7 PaulDesmond, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    hope you recall all crap that you installed prior to repair the system :D