grldr source code

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by _office_, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _office_

_office_ MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2009
    i saw daz & zsmin play with their modifies grldr, he must got the grub modifed source code, SO u can share it with us ?

2. MyDigitalWife

MyDigitalWife MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2009
    No, his "mod" was written from scratch using the official grub4dos source code.

3. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    #3 secr9tos, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. _office_

Oct 25, 2009
    well i prefere use grldr source code
    it's easy way than install kernel driver

5. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Why does it matter to you? Do yo have experience programming grub loader modifications?

6. _office_

Oct 25, 2009
    i got some but it's not reallt matter, if u got it SO why not publish it. like secret did ? since vista no one has post it so why not change this ? :D

7. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The source has not been published since zsmin has put allot of work into it, plus it would mean there would be new versions of the GRLDR floating around with no improvements whatsoever and a new author name. On top of that it would then render encryption/decryption useless since they would be in plain sight to everyone.

I think zsmin did mention that you (or maybe it was someone else) asked for the source before via a private message, I'm not sure if he replied but I know the answer was no :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. _office_

Oct 25, 2009
    i never contact him in any way BUT if he got the source ? can he publish the code ? he the owner of the source code ? how doe's he got it ?

9. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Simple answer, he wrote it himself! Ohh. btw.. I can understand zsmins decision not to publish his code. After a lot of work on my kernel driver it became more and more to a rootkit ( 'cause of the hiding feature:D ) and I also won't publish the source code anymore. So if u still want any source code your best bet is the kernel mode driver here on mdl.

10. _office_

Oct 25, 2009
    But ur kernel file has only support for acer cert as i know, as u can see in the source code, grldr is 4 every cert (copy /b part1 cert part2) ... i think u need make ur kernel file to have a way use other cert file

11. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
  12. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Hmm just think. The slic is embedded so either recompile the driver or, write a simple app which replaces the slic in the .sys file ( don't forget to rebuild the digital signature )

13. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Yes, think it is a secret. Why did you so interested? If you are an experienced programer you may develop something without using someone's work, you are showing an strange behaviour...:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. _office_

Oct 25, 2009
    not, it's 4 learning & devloping, more knowledge == more power :D

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I can tell you that when zsmin started work from the GRUB 4 DOS source he didn't know a whole lot. He learned about tables and relocating data and allot of it was trial and error and allot of debugging. I'm sure that may be somewhat the same with secr9tos's source code for the driver, allot of time was put into the projects so they don't exactly have to give anything out to start with.

I look at it as if these guys can do it and the projects are closed source then rather than trying to decompile anything simply start where they started and learn to do it yourself. Taking someone elses source even if its open source without any knowledge of how it even works won't achieve you anything but a headache and possibly a bad rep. So knowledge may be power, but it's where that knowledge comes from thats the key.

16. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    I totally agree with u:)

17. _office_

Oct 25, 2009
    i don't, if someone have great project he did, that can spare time to other's so he need to PUBLISH it to save other's time. this is the ^moto^.
    to make project fast u need sometime's other's code. make it by ur own with lot of time no help u so much

18. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #18 Daz, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    The thing is you likely don't understand table relocation, the standard GRUB 4 DOS code or anything else thats required to improve on any source. So even if published not many people could actually do anything with it other than compile it with their named tagged onto it, but then why should he release the sourcecode for that to happen -- and that would happen. So it wouldn't save you any time since you wouldn't understand how it works, where as if you built it ground up then you would know exactly how it works and is something you can call your own.

Another question would simply be why do you want the source if whats provided already works perfectly fine? Theres nothing to improve on which you could understand without knowledge of table structures and even then you would be working in code which is alien to you.

With the driver secr9tos has provided pretty much a working "proof of concept" (it actually works well) which people can build off. With the GRLDR the source is already online (GRUB 4 DOS) all you have to do is learn about table relocation and implement functions to relocate/insert tables (a SLIC).

19. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Stop asking, he is not gonna share his source. I've only been gone two months, don't the mods lock useless threads anymore ?