Grub Rescue

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MaveRick23, Feb 3, 2014.

1. MaveRick23

MaveRick23 MDL Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Hello,

I have such trouble, please help me.

I installed windows 8.1 x86 at my work PC on friday successfully, i activate it by windows toolkit. it was working fine. today i was on Facebook and also was downloading a windows 8.1 iso from here when everything freezed , no mouse no keyboard was available. no reactions. i wait a 30 minutes like that after i restart manualy it. after manufacturer title appeared such error: no such partition. Grub rescue.

I check also BIOS.

what happend? can you help me?

please explain what can have to do such situation?

thanks in advanced.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    smells like a disc that is about to die or already has

3. MDL After Death

MDL After Death MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2014
    If you have another drive you can swap in, try installing again. Also, download Memtest86 and let it run for 30minutes at least to make sure memory is not one of the many possible problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MaveRick23

MaveRick23 MDL Member

Apr 13, 2013
    I did that step. i opened case and replace sata cable to another port and run PC it worked...:) why it causee above mentioned trouble, what is reason of it? thanks for supports.

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    corrosion is the problem. All these tiny little contacts are coated with a very thin layer of gold a few microns thick. If you frequently plug and unplug such cable, the gold cover disappears very quickly and a copper or other metal comes to surface. When oxygen hits this open surface an insulator gets created and no more current can run at that place to your disc for example. using a different port sometimes solves the problem as you could see.

6. eydee

eydee Guest

Gurb rescue... You must have a linux install somewhere and the boot partition is damaged/removed. Grub can'T access is, that's why you have that message.