GRUB+Vista+Windows7 issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zush, Sep 2, 2009.

1. zush

zush MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi, i currently have an Asus P6P with some HD attached to it. Right now i installed Grub 0.97 on the first partition (called /boot) one of my HD, the one set in bios to boot first. The rest of the Hd is used to store data on it. Then i also have 2 HD attached as raid0, configured using bios settings (plugged to jmicron instead of asus super speed sockets). That pair of Hd seen as one have some partitions on it:

*Another boot partition, i'm planning to use that partition for Grub.
    *Vista
    *Windows7
    *Other partitions used by Gentoo

As i setted to boot first the HD where i'm storing Grub+ data, first time i installed vista it stored its boot files in the data partition of the Grub+Data HD, it also setted data partition to active so everytime i booted the PC i couldn't see Grub boot manager vista was booted. I noticed that behavour after finishing the installation so i moved the boot crap to the raid0 vista partition, i also activated grub partition and then i activated vista using a grldr patch method (just for for learning purposed).

Yesterday i installed windows7 in another raid0 ntfs partition (same HD as Vista and Gentoo) and the same happened to me, so i did the same process again. Took windows7 boot files to its own raid0 partition so, activated Grub partition and i was able to boot into Vista, Gentoo and also Windows7. As you can see that method sucks as Windows doesn't know where it's installed, cause mbr settings made during vista and windows7 installation where done to the grub+data hd. Anyway i was happy cause i was able to boot all OS with no problem.

Today morning i tried to activate windows7, but before trying i was doing some research and found that no grldr files were present into windows7 partition, just Boot folder, bootmgr and BOOTSECT.BAK. I downloaded a Windows act*vator (just for learning and study purposes), which also uses grldr method and windows7 got activated. I noticed the trick to activate vista or windows7 resides in the grldr file, as every time i moved or delete grldr vista or windows7 got deactivated automatically.

The problem is that when i run windows7 act*vator it modifies Vista grldr so both Grub entries (vista and windows7 ones) always takes me to the same OS. If i patch vista (grldr is palced into vista partition and also into windows7 one) so selecting Vista or Windows in Grub screen always takes me to Vista OS. If i remove grldr from windows7 partition i'm able to boot into Windows7 (obviusly it is deactivated) and also into Vista (which do is activated). If i activate Windows7 using a grldr patch it happens again, Windows7 is activated but Vista's grldr is modified/replaced and i can't boot into Vista. the only way i found to boot both OS is having Vista activated (grldr file is present) and Windows7 deactivated (no grldr file present).

After all that "s**t" i tried to boot into Vista DVD installation, went to repair and no OS were detected so went to cmd and typed bootrec /ScanOS which found both OS also tried bootrec /RebuildBcd but i always got the an error saying unrecognised filesystems..

My question is, how should i proceed to be able to use only Grub to choose betwen Gentoo (which works with no problem), Vista and Windows7 having both activated, should they use an unique grldr file to boot both OS? Actually every MS OS has its own boot files into its own ntfs partition with its system files. I wouldn't like to use MS boot screen after Grub screen to choose betwen Vista or Windows7.

Thanks a lot for trying to help and sorry for so long explanation, i hope i make me understand, at least :)

2. zush

zush MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    Thanks for you repply :)

I'm not really planning to stop using Grub, it's the best boot loader ever. I really would like to know how people manage to boot into Vista and Windows7, using grub, having both activated. I know people does it, do they share a single grldr for both operating systems?

Thanks again, i hope someone who has bypassed the same issue can help :)

3. zush

zush MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    No one using Vista+Windows7 and grub as boot loadeR? thx

4. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Grub + Vista + Windows 7 issue

Hi, I have Triple boot on my System

I have Vista Home Premium----- activated
    I have Windows 7 Ultimate------activated
    I have Ubuntu 9.04 (Linux)

They all use Grub Bootloader & I select which I want to load as Computer Starts.

Way to do it:
    Install either windows first --Partition that drive into (2) partitions & Install other Windows on second partition.

Install Linux last & it will install grub & find the (2) Diff Versions of Windows & tell linux to install itself "BESIDE" the windows versions.

Thats It.

Good Luck :D

5. zush

zush MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    First of all thanks for your reply, i still have some wuestions as i can see you did it automagically.
    Your scenario is:
    One HD first you install Vista, activate it. Then you instal windows7 and activate it. My question is, at this point are you using a single loader for both operating systems? So, are using a single grldr for both OS? if you look at vista partition can you see any MS boot files (Boot directory, bootsect.bak, grldr,bootmgr)? If you look at Windows7 partition can you see any MS boot files (Boot directory bootsect.bak grldr)?

I suppose you're sharing a single MS boot loader for both OS, isn't it? and a single grldr? Thx :)

6. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Yes Single MS Bootloader........Until you Install Linux, Then Grub takes over.

7. zush

zush MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    ok, thx :)

8. raylet

raylet MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    zush,

I'm having a similar setup as you and hit the same problem. The problem is because of that a menu.lst file is embedded in the grldr file. And in the menu.lst, it uses "find" command to set the root. Here's how I fix it:
    - use a hex editor open the grldr file on win7 partition
    - search for "default 0". now you should be able to identify the embedded menu.lst file.
    - locate the line with "find" command. change it to root command like: root hd(0,1) #assuming hd(0,1) is the win7 partition.
    - repeat the same steps for vista.

hope this helps.

9. zush

zush MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    Thanks a lot for your reply, that's was i was really looking for. i'm very used to edit grub's menu.lst so as you asy i think editing grldr with hex editor will do the trip.

Thanks a lot :_)

10. zush

zush MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    A hundred thanks for your tip :)

Right now i'm suffering a really strange behavour. I can't edit grldr neither with hexedit nor ultraedit, i think the problem when file changes its size.

If i just replace timeout 0 with timeout 9 then grldr works so when i reboot i can see the menu, press 'e' and go to edit and replace find --set-root /bootmgr with line root (hd2,1)/bootmgr. Doing this from command line works perfect so it lets me boot into vista with no problem. I can also replace find --set-root /bootmgr with root (hd2,3)/bootmgr and i can boot into Windows7 but i don't know why editing grldr with one of those applications breaks grldr.

If menu.lst is wrong edited then you get a message telling unknow command or file not found something like that. When i edit grldr using ultraedit or grldr i just get a black screen with Grub's menu.lst, so if it has an entry for Gentoo and 2 entries one for Vista and another one for Windows7 i can see in the black screen "rootnoverify (hd2,1)", newline "chainloader +1",newline "makeactive". It happens every time i tryto edit grldr sing an hexadecimal editor.

does anyone know how to resolve that strange behavour? thanks again in advanced :)

11. zush

zush MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    #12 zush, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
    (OP)
    Temporary solution:

as find --set-root /bootmgr is larger than root (hdX,X)/bootmgr you can add the needed spaces after bootmgr to mantain file size so it's going to work.

But i still noticed that using Windows, after modifying grldr with an hexadecimal editor file icon gets also changed. Before editing the file its icon was an archive type but after editing it its icon isjust a blank file. Really strange!

EDIT: I think that file type thing can be sorted with: ATTRIB c:\grldr +h +s +r

12. raylet

raylet MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #13 raylet, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  13. zush

zush MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    Ok!! Thanks a lot :)