GS70 STEALTH PRO (6TH GEN) - Windows7 Wont Recognize NVMe M.2 SSD Drive!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ph4ntom74, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ph4ntom74

ph4ntom74 MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2010
    Brief

Bought this cool laptop couple of months ago and I do not want Windows10 on my computer along with all vendor/OEM trash software, so I'm trying to install Windows7 into the SSD drive without success.

At first I thought it was because of SSD drivers but I have already slip stream them from the vendor's site also without success. Also, I suspect the reason for Windwos 7 doesn't see the ssd drive is because of UEFI/Bios/OEM problem or feature that I'm not aware of.

Laptop
    GS70 6QE - STEALTH PRO (6TH GEN)

SSD Details
    Toshiba NVMe THNSN5128GPU7 TO

Objective: Run Windows7_X64-SP1 with latest drivers in a smooth and fast way.

Challenge
    - Windows7_X64-SP1 USB install doesn't even see the PCIe SSD drive. Only Sata 1TB disk where the recovery partition islocated.

What I Tried and Failed
    - I Downloaded the "latest" drivers for Windows7_X64-SP1 from here
    - Slip-streamed the drivers into Windows7_X64-SP1 but, the app used stated that many drivers were not recognized. If I try windows 10 it sees all drivers obviously.
    - Used MSI HelpDesk Tool, MSI Win7 Smart Tool and other tools to manipulate the iso files and a tool to slip-stream the drivers.
    - Downloaded the latest SSD drivers and pointed to them in the installation process this time accepts the drivers at the installation screen but still doesn't see the ssd driver.

Outcome
    None of the above worked but the SSD drive is "Hidden".

Question
    - I just made a Gparted live USB pen drive with which I can see and delete all disks, volumes and partitions but, will the drivers offered by the vendor MSI work properly on Windows 7SP1x64 installation section? Because the SSD drivers are clearly not recognizing the disk!

- What happens if I delete all partitions with Gparted on the SSD drive and format it as NTFS and try to install Windows 7, will I end up with an 1500$ unused system because the OEM/Vendor hard codes the OS into the Bios/UEFI?

I can try with Gparted but I'm afraid I wont be able to boot up and the recovery partition wont work anymore.

Please help me!

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  3. ph4ntom74

ph4ntom74 MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks for the reply Mr.X I'm also reading that post but I tried that already with the MSI drivers and the toshiba/intel drivers. When on the windows installation, I point to the driver and it doesn't work. even if I refresh it.
    by the way, I did it with NTLite, I'm not familiar with wim files or manipulating it, its my first ssd laptop.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Unfortunately I have no experience with NVMe ssds so far. So my guidance can't be pretty much productive.

5. ph4ntom74

ph4ntom74 MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2010
    thanks anyway

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Make sure you've set the mode to UEFI+CSM. NVMe M.2 won't work in Legacy, only Sata M.2 will be seen.
    You can also change from AHCI to Raid. This helps IRST utility see the drive...