GTX 1650 and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB X64 2016

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by solo_voyager, Nov 16, 2020.

1. solo_voyager

solo_voyager MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB X64 2016

I have installed the above version of Win10 LTSB on my PC replacing an earlier installation that had become very unreliable.
    I do not remember which Win10 Ent LTSB version I had on here before.
    I thought it was a 2016, but it may have been a later one.
    I had a Geforce GTX 1650 video card installed and it worked fine for my needs.
    I cannot find a driver CD for it now, if there ever was one.

I cannot get it to work with this present OS version.
    All of the online driver install packages I can find going back to v430.64 say they're compatible with the GTX 1650.
    But, on installation they sat they're incompatible with the OS, then will not install.

Looking up this problem online, most responses to questions appear to be little more than stabs in the dark with little help being received.
    Anyone know what is going on here and how to deal with it?

2. Tuoni_NL

Tuoni_NL MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2020
    I used the 457.09 drivers with my GTX 1080 on Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB with no problems. Can't imagine 457.30 is much different

I think the issue here is that Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB does not support the new DCH driver package in which Nvidia now publishes their new drivers. If you try to install the DCH driver it will extract and after the initialization it will come with an error message that your system is not compatible and you can only shutdown the installation.
    When you go to Nvidia website and/or search for GeForce drivers you will be redirected to the DCH driver packages. You need to do an advanced driver search to be able to get the download link to the old "standard" driver package which will install just fine on Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB.

I'm not allowed to post links but if you do an advanced driver search or Google for something like "Nvidia non dch driver download" you should get there.

3. solo_voyager

Aug 5, 2009
    #5 solo_voyager, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    (OP)
    Thanks folks,
    I did have the card installed before on my previous Win10 LTSB(C).
    I ran dual monitors with it.
    I sorely miss the real estate now with only a single screen.
    I am not sure which Win10 version I had on at that time.
    But, in thinking back on this, I always called it LTSB, but I think M$ did call it LTSC.
    I ended up removing it because it began to give trouble.
    It ran fine at first but became troublesome after stopping all Win updates for a while.

My assumption was that all versions of LTSB/C should work with the Geforce driver.
    So, I went to the 2016 version.
    I've tried Nvidea's different downloads including standard, and studio versions.
    None would work.

I will try installing later versions to see if and where it does begin to work again.
    That seems to be the only way to find out for sure.

4. Tuoni_NL

Tuoni_NL MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2020
    It's not the name of the driver, studio driver / game ready driver but the type of the driver that matters.
    Just hover over the download button and at the bottom of the browser you should see the full download path with filename. You don't want anything with -dch- in the filename.

5. solo_voyager

Aug 5, 2009
    OK, thanks folks.
    I am on my way to having it fixed.
    I made and stored an image of my existing OS install.
    Then, I did a clean install of Win 10 x64 LTSC 2019 - Nov 2020 version.
    Almost all the glitches found in my previous LTSB installs over the last last few years seem to be gone.
    So far, this one seems to be working the smoothest of all of them.
    But, I'm still leery of problems showing up.
    We'll see.

I had installed an M.2 drive onto the last OS.
    It never performed as well as had been expected.
    Now with the OS installed onto the drive, the PC almost snaps on and off.
    I'm now getting the speed I had expected.
    The latest version of the GeForce driver is installed and the video card is operational.
    I have my dual monitors back again.

I still have at least one problem remaining.
    Somewhere, I think I've seen a cure for it.
    The POST portion of startup only shows as a black blank screen while using the card.
    I'll need to look around again to find the cure to bring POST back when the card is in use.
    Still gotta get my apps back on yet.

6. solo_voyager

Aug 5, 2009
    #9 solo_voyager, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    (OP)
    I am reminded of one of the reasons I became unhappy with my GeForce GTX card installation on my old OS.
    When not able to access POST, I cannot access the BIOS, advanced startup, or anything else that is available only during POST, without disconnecting my monitors from the card and reconnecting one to my mobo.

I haven't found a cure for this yet.
    So, can POST be seen and worked with directly from the GTX 1650 card?

EDIT #1: Disabling DSM in BIOS does not work.
    EDIT #2: this may be complicated by using an M.2 as my OS drive and the card has only 2 DP + 1 HDMI, no DVI ports. Monitors connected to DPs only.

7. solo_voyager

Aug 5, 2009
    Just an update for this thread:
    I just updated the BIOS for my mobo.

After installing the mobo in my new PC, I installed the apps and utilities from the CD accompanying it.
    I had it for about 2 years and was a bit disappointed with it.
    I began this thread with one of my complaints.
    There were others not mentioned here.

When I updated the BIOS. it also update a number of the Mobo drivers/apps and such and added some I'd never had before.
    I did the update because it was a revision 01 board, a lot of things on the CD wouldn't install. And, the board was a bit clunky in operation, thought it might be a bit out of date.
    Now, It runs much more smoothly, and supports my CPU according to the BIOS revision number.

To get POST in startup I had connected one monitor to the mobo and one to the video card and got POST that way.
    I did not like it because they have different specs and abilities.
    I reconnected both to the card again, after doing the update.
    Now POST shows, up on #2 monitor during boot, then switches to both when Win loads.
    A BIOS update fixed my problem and others.
    It now feels like a very smooth running machine.
    Updating the BIOS was a PIA, but was worth it.