Guest > Host Sharing: Specific Folder from Linux Guest accessing to Windows 7 Host?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by crashnburn, May 6, 2013.

1. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Guest > Host Sharing: Specific Folder from Linux Guest accessing to Windows 7 Host?

I have Turnkey & Bitnami Linux Guest VMs on a Windows 7 Host with VMWare.

I make minor changes now and then to certain files in certain guest folders. Is there any way to share these folders with the Windows Host machine as a shared folder or drive?

What would be the easiest/ fastest way to do this?

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Install Vmware tools, use build-in sharing

3. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Are you sure that would work? Because from what I am reading I can share specific FOLDER from Windows Host and access inside Guest VM, but not seeing how to do the OPPOSITE.

Take specific folder from Linux Guest and share it so that I can access in the Windows Host and make changes and close some files.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And what would be the problem to drag the files from guest VM to host shared folder?

Otherwise you can learn how to make Samba working inb Linux

sebus

5. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    I need to make minor changes by letting the files be there.

I do not wish to make copies that go back and forth - There is FTP running but even that means checking out and checking back the HOST changes to the GUEST.

Is there an easy way that VMWare / Tools can do this?

I read about SAMBA online but was not sure how to get it working. Any suggestions? Any good easy tutorial?

Most people are not doing this kind of share between VM Host and Guest so most tutorials I am reading are not working out.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Any tutorial for Samba on Linux will do, you will just have to adjust it for your particular flavour

No, tools share from host to guest (not the way you want)

You can not just SSH to guest & make changes?

Seb

7. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    So let's say I apply a SAMBA tutorial to the GUEST linux OS. What would I need to do make that SHARE visible to the Host Windows 7?

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Not really, you can type the full path

sebus