Guidance needed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Maestromd, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Maestromd

Maestromd MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I just finished building a new machine just a few hours ago and realized that I didn't have a OS handy. I have 2 laptops that came with vista Acer/Vista 64 and a Vaio, but they didn't come with any Vista disks, just some lame recovery system.

I was looking at Windows 7 and was wondering should I just start using that or try and get one of these other versions on this machine.

I like to game, not sure if that is a huge factor in Win 7, didn't know if I would be able to get drivers and such.

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Most of all the Vista drivers actually work on Windows 7. I had to use a Vista X64 Nic driver for my Win 7 x64 works great. I do some gaming myself and can tell you Win 7 has no issues running whatever i throw at it. Much more polished then Vista ever was.

But it's really up to you on what suits your needs. Running Win 7 x64 + x86 no issues at all so far.

3. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Windows 7 is comparable to XP in performance of games, however, mileage may vary. I've noticed some intense games run better, while some others perform similar to what they do in Vista.

If you want an overall score to compare XP Vista, and 7, here are mine.

XP: 9
    Vista: 5
    7: 7 - 8

The only reason 7 has a "7 - 8" score is because some of my games perform better, and others perform the same as they do on Vista. This could however just be the engine used for the game, and nothing to do with 7, dx, or my vid card. Many of the games I play are rated well below my video card stats.

4. Maestromd

Maestromd MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    So here is another nooblet question. I download and registered for the Windows 7 RC. I see a more intricate ways that people are installing Win 7 on here. Any suggestion on which route to take.

btw, the rig I built: (Nothing too fancy but I am happy it turns on and works after putting it together myself lol)

AMD 955 BE
    6gb dd3 1800mhz
    1tb sata II 3.0 7200
    128gb ssd
    ATi 4870 1gb
    700w pwr supply
    gigabyte amd ma790tx am3 mobo
    Liquid cooled cpu

5. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    There are a few ways you can go about with activation.

1. You can use the RC till it expires.(3-01-2010)
    2. You can use a lo*der there's 2-3 that work well.
    3. You can Mod your BIOS for SLIC2.1.

If you use a Lo*der Microshaft might come up with a way to disable it with future updates.

If you go the mod route and Mod your BIOS for SLIC2.1 it's a more effective way since it does the Activation offline using the OEM Key and there is less of a chance that Microshaft will notice it. But i will warn you and others will as well, there is always a risk when you mod the bios, you know bricking your rig.

But there are tons of helpful people on this site who can and will help. HC will write you his infamous long paragraphs :D but you'll get all the info you'll ever need and then some. Everyone on this site so far with the exception of a few noobletts are helpful, so if you have any questions you can be sure they will get answerd - even if its 20 paragraphs long. :D

6. Maestromd

Maestromd MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I think I will just go with the RC version and do some research. I'm ready to get this puppy going. It was just sitting up at me all sad, it needs an os.